Favorite/underrated MOTU Plugs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Favorite/underrated MOTU Plugs

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:
bayswater wrote:A mundane but often very useful plugin is Trim.
+1
I forget that Trim is a plugin. I suppose it's partly because I've been using some of its features since there were separate plugs in DP 2.71. It's one of the reasons that I like DP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

I use MW EQ on about 95% of my productions. I'll use 3rd party EQ's as well but MW EQ is my go to to notch out problem freq's quickly. I also like to use the Pre-Amp plugin for some light saturation work. Because it has a comp in it, it's pretty convenient. If you haven't tried it in that manner, check it out. You can also change the plugins view by clicking that button on the bottom right; makes it look cooler!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
jb

Post by jb »

Postby kwiz » Mon May 11, 2020 1:48 pm

I use MW EQ on about 95% of my productions. I'll use 3rd party EQ's as well but MW EQ is my go to to notch out problem freq's quickly. I also like to use the Pre-Amp plugin for some light saturation work. Because it has a comp in it, it's pretty convenient. If you haven't tried it in that manner, check it out. You can also change the plugins view by clicking that button on the bottom right; makes it look cooler!
Same here Kwiz, MW Eq is my workhorse too for non coloring, just subtractive and corrective jobs,
even though after the webinars I checked the manual more in depth and found out the type III filter on the MW Eq is more "musical" and supposed to emulate the Gain/Q relationship of classic Neves Eq and their modern derivatives like SSL G, something to play with..

I used to use the preamp a lot quite a while ago, forgot about that one, thanks for the reminder!
I didn't know about changing the look either, sweet! :dance:
DP 11.2 MAC OS 10.13.6 Bumped Mac Pro 5,1 12 Core 3,2Ghz 128GB RAM
Pcie M2. SSD's x4 internal + Ext. SSd's. VE_PRO, LASS, Hollywood Strings, Brass, Berlin Wwinds, Spitfire Symphony Orch..etc
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

kwiz wrote:I also like to use the Pre-Amp plugin for some light saturation work. Because it has a comp in it, it's pretty convenient. If you haven't tried it in that manner, check it out. You can also change the plugins view by clicking that button on the bottom right; makes it look cooler!
Thanks, kwiz! I forgot all about that one. The interface helps a bunch. I slapped it on a bass track and electric gtr track today and it brought some real up front goodness to both of them. It's a well thought-out plug, which I can appreciate more now via the GUI. The center controls work well to dial the distortion to taste. I usually use Nomad Factory Magnetic (V1 not V2) or a Scuffham gtr amp for this sort of thing, but Pre-amp really impressed me today, a nice revisit.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

philbrown wrote:
Thanks, kwiz! I forgot all about that one. The interface helps a bunch. I slapped it on a bass track and electric gtr track today and it brought some real up front goodness to both of them. It's a well thought-out plug, which I can appreciate more now via the GUI. The center controls work well to dial the distortion to taste. I usually use Nomad Factory Magnetic (V1 not V2) or a Scuffham gtr amp for this sort of thing, but Pre-amp really impressed me today, a nice revisit.
You're welcome JB and Phil.
Another one that I'm blowing the dust off of is the Sonic Modulator. I used to use it a lot when I first started using DP back in v2.7 days. Once I started using Sound Toys around 2007 I stopped using it. With that said, I played around with it again and was pleasantly surprised! That plugin is pretty cool and it has
a button just left of the upper center of the GUI that makes it look a bit slicker. It's nice on keys, guitars and even on vocals when used very lightly. I'm not saying that it replaces what I can do with the modulation effects I can do with Sound Toys, but it certainly isn't anything to sneeze at either. 8)
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
magicd

Post by magicd »

Wow! Throwback time.

The PreAmp 1 and Sonic Modulator were in the first round of included plugs with DP and that had to be almost 20 years ago. So it's very cool to still see them getting some love.
I was involved in the development of those plugs. I'm not a coder so a coder and myself worked them up. If we had the time I think we would have like to have spun off multiple plugs. I wanted a Leslie emulator. We all wanted some guitar distortion. Things went from there.
The Sonic Modulator is definitely a result of me playing with every pedal Electro Harmonix, MXR, and MuTron released in the 70's The PreAmp is more theoretical. It's a model of a tube where you can play with saturation, blend, range, and even/odd harmonics, and that's combined with a compressor and EQ section. So happy you guys still get use out of those!
Dave
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You're a legend, Davo.

A belated thank you from me, brother. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

magicd wrote:Wow! Throwback time.

The PreAmp 1 and Sonic Modulator were in the first round of included plugs with DP and that had to be almost 20 years ago. So it's very cool to still see them getting some love.
I was involved in the development of those plugs. I'm not a coder so a coder and myself worked them up. If we had the time I think we would have like to have spun off multiple plugs. I wanted a Leslie emulator. We all wanted some guitar distortion. Things went from there.
The Sonic Modulator is definitely a result of me playing with every pedal Electro Harmonix, MXR, and MuTron released in the 70's The PreAmp is more theoretical. It's a model of a tube where you can play with saturation, blend, range, and even/odd harmonics, and that's combined with a compressor and EQ section. So happy you guys still get use out of those!
Dave
Great story!
I'm REALLY glad you're here, Dave. Thank you.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce