OMF/AAF Import - Should I Even Bother?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OMF/AAF Import - Should I Even Bother?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I reviewed my files after reading this thread again. This is actually pretty important stuff for a lot of us.

Anyway, the last client to send my files first sent an AAF with audio. That didn't work. He resent an OMF and said use the AAF audio, which, of course, is not going to work. He supposedly sent me the OMF audio but it had all the same files names and sizes as AAF audio (I.E. - identical files). When I called him on it he said I was mistaken and that he did, in fact, send the OMF files.

Since this was one of those "favors" and went from an 8 second sound effect to "can you redo my entire audio for free" I said goodbye. But the point is, the OMF might have worked if he sent the OMF audio export. I just don't want to assume the DP can't do OMF. Again, in my experience either ONF of AAF works in a particular release, but never both.

OK, I'm done. NO WAIT! ...nah, I'm done.

lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rmills007
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rmills007 »

Saxplayerz wrote: Well I think it is the steps taken. I wish someone would make a video for aaf export from pro tools to dp.
Not a video but is this link helpful?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64633&p=552152&hili ... tools#wrap
OSX 11.6.1, DP 11.02, Metric Halo ULN-2, Plug-Ins and stuff.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Saxplayerz wrote: Well I think it is the steps taken. I wish someone would make a video for aaf export from pro tools to dp.
There’s some confusion on it whether to link the audio files or to embed. I think pro tools has enough trouble with links I’d think one would need to embed it if it’s going to another machine. :brucelee:
If i recall, they are not using embed to come to us in DP, but moving the files position slightly once the AAF folder has been created. I do know it only takes them 5 minutes to prep the thing cause I have waited while they have done it remotely.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.