Performer Lite - crashing every few minutes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
silkytom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Performer Lite - crashing every few minutes

Post by silkytom »

Hi all

Just picked up an M4 to go with my (relatively clean) Windows laptop so I can get some ideas down without having to so into the spare room where my studio mac is ( which is still running DP7.2.4 quite happily).

I installed Performer Lite - I've not been able to keep it open for more than a few minutes without it closing. Even changing a tempo from 120 bpm in a brand new project causes it to close. RE-installed a couple of times - no improvement.

It only recognises the FX version of Softube Modular, not the full instrument version. A number of VSTs don't pass the authorization test, including Izotope and NI ones.

It's pretty poor for me. I guess it's early days for Lite, but I'm already thinking about shelling out the licence fee for Reaper instead.

If this is what DP is like on Windows I'm definitely not going to open my wallet and get DP10 for my lappy.

Anyone else had experience of it yet?
DP user since 2.7

Very late adopter with a range of setups.

Main rig firmly resides in a "rock solid DP7.24 on 10.6.8" past.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Performer Lite - crashing every few minutes

Post by CharlzS »

Don't have Lite, but maybe plug preferences are the same as DP. In Plugin Prefs, do you have it set for VST2 or VST3 as the primary? NI doesn't provide VST3. Also, any of the Izotope entries in the plug list that begin with iZ are not the actual plugs and won't validate. If set for VST3 primary, try switching to VST2 as it's much more forgiving in validation. The Softube stuff should validate as VST2. I can't get several plugs to validate as VST3. If you want to re-validate all the plugs you can remove the plug caches. Don't know wharer they are in Lite, but Lite should follow same convention as DP and should be located somewhere around here: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\MOTU\MOTU Audio System
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Don't know about Lite, but if your studio Mac is still going strong, you might want to try out DP10.11; it is working really well for me on my Mac Pro, and you will be able to try it out on your Windows laptop, too. Lots of improvements since DP7... with pre-rendering, it allows us to get more from our hardware than ever. And, based on reports here, at least a few Windows users are finding it works well on their hardware.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
silkytom

Post by silkytom »

Thanks

Yeah, Thanks for the info. I felt that VST2 validation gave me a few more options. I've momved some of the VST files around. I'll have a further tidy up and see what I can get working.

The mac I'm on (ignore my sig, you can tell how long ago I was active here!!) is only a 2009 quad core (I think) but it runs 10.6.8 with the old powercore PCI- cards which I'm fond of. There's no real reason to mess about with the setup, no new software I need or want, so I tend not to move on too much. It's rock solid for me.

The M4 for my windows laptop was just to get ideas down in a more "family friendly" way (as in without disappearing for hours) but I'm so disappointed by how often Lite crashes. My record for having a session open is about 6 or 7 minutes. AS it stands it is unusable :?
DP user since 2.7

loudon1177

Post by loudon1177 »

I actually just spoke to MOTU tech support about this. Mine is crashing every time I click in the tempo window, even on a brand new project. I was told they are aware of the problem and are working on it, and it should be fixed with the next update hopefully within a couple weeks.
silkytom

Post by silkytom »

Thanks Loudon.

Yeah, it's reaaallly buggy. So many simple operations cause it to crash. I'm too scared to click on anything new, just in case!

It's a new (and kind of free) product I guess these things happen. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. Will wait for the update.
DP user since 2.7

Pi-Qui

Post by Pi-Qui »

I bought a Motu M2 for home use, installed Performer Lite 10 on my dell precision M4600 with 24Gb RAM and i7 2960XM, I was curious how the program would perform. Well it doesnt perform despite its name. It locks up with every action I take, have to restart the laptop everytime to get it working again. the laptop totally freezes, Mark of the Unicorn should be Mark of the Crashes. The program really sucks, I would never buy Digital performer 10 because of performer Lite, it isnt stable at all, LOL, its stable in its unstability. :rtfmmad: I also work with Ableton Live Suite 10, no problems at all. The team of Digital performer have to do their homework, performer lite is rubbish!!!
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Pi-Qui wrote:I bought a Motu M2 for home use, installed Performer Lite 10 on my dell precision M4600 with 24Gb RAM and i7 2960XM, I was curious how the program would perform. Well it doesnt perform despite its name. It locks up with every action I take, have to restart the laptop everytime to get it working again. the laptop totally freezes, Mark of the Unicorn should be Mark of the Crashes. The program really sucks, I would never buy Digital performer 10 because of performer Lite, it isnt stable at all, LOL, its stable in its unstability. :rtfmmad: I also work with Ableton Live Suite 10, no problems at all. The team of Digital performer have to do their homework, performer lite is rubbish!!!
Just curious - if you have dual graphics, does it still crash if you disable the Nvidia (or AMD) graphics adapter and just use the Intel onboard? The total freeze might indicate a hardware issue. Most recent M2 drivers installed? A new version was posted not that long ago.
Pi-Qui

Post by Pi-Qui »

Hi, it doesnt have dual graphics and all the drivers are the latest, also firmware 1.02 for M2. The laptop is up to date for as far as that is possible for a computer from 2013. Grtz Pi-Qui
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

OK, so no Intel HD graphics display adapter listed in the Device Manager. Anyway, don't judge DP by the issues you're having with Performer Lite. If you have the time, try the full DP demo - fully functional for 30 days. I run DP on a PC and there are a couple of minor issues, but nothing like what you are describing with PL. Also, MOTU tech support is very helpful.
silkytom

Post by silkytom »

The 10.12 Lite update is a lot more stable. Not perfect but much more usable.

Did have a crash when trialling Reason Rack plugins, though.
DP user since 2.7