DP10 piano roll

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Freiin
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP10 piano roll

Post by Freiin »

Hello, guys! I'm new here. XD

I have a question. Do you guys use often DP's piano roll to compose? (Only piano roll and mouse).

I'm asking this because i came from FL Studio and i'll buy DP10 later today to its easyness to manage video and scoring.

But i do not use keyboard controller, so i do everything with mouse.

Is it suitable for that?

Thanks
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP10 piano roll

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Being an experienced pianist I don’t use the piano roll that way. But when I have to edit I use it more than any other window utilizing MIDI. You could absolutely compose using that window. You might be surprised at the “region” and other processing.

Also, there’s a fully functioning demo you can download with spending a penny.

Welcome to the best music forum I’ve n the www.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Also, there’s a fully functioning demo you can download with spending a penny.
Not even a penny. (What a cutely cheap typo!)

I use MIDI to play parts in, but spend lots of time working in the MIDI editor and it is really good. There are things about selection that could be improved (in my opinion). But you should definitely get the demo and see what you think.

If you tend to edit velocities, DP is a little "fiddly". The little V "handles" that are for shaping velocity have been tiny in other versions. I don't know if they improved that in version 10. However, there are lots of other tools for shaping and modifying velocity not only of notes, but of groups of notes over time, are very flexible, intuitive and powerful, as are tools for timing (quantization), MIDI pitch (transpose/harmonize), and duration. It's a fun factory.

MLC is right. You've found a great forum with wise & very helpful folk.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Step Record comes to mind (Chapter 28). You can open up MIDI Keys (page 144), and click on the notes to be entered with a mouse. This lets you choose notes, velocities and some controllers. If you have the Step Record and MIDI Keys windows open, there's not much you can't do with a mouse.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

stubbsonic wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Also, there’s a fully functioning demo you can download with spending a penny.
Not even a penny. (What a cutely cheap typo!)
Who you calling chirp. I neber make type-Os.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS