How to set DP to remember instrument patch?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicmaestro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to set DP to remember instrument patch?

Post by musicmaestro »

Hi everyone, I am new here to recording with a DAW so I bought DP9 to start with the best! Anyhow, if I select a sound patch for the MX4 synth, it sounds great but when I hit stop and go to play it again, it reverts back to the default patch sound. I cannot find a way to change it so I must be doing something wrong. I even changed it where it says default patch but nothing... Can someone help this newb? Thanks!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to set DP to remember instrument patch?

Post by cuttime »

It sounds like you ave a patch change embedded in your MIDI data. Did you import a third party MIDI file? It's very common for there to be bothersome patch changes in MIDI sequences done by others.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
musicmaestro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by musicmaestro »

Thanks for the reply. I did import a MIDI file but it would not play until I assigned instrument tracks. It will remember the MX4 but not the selected voice. Any advice on what to do next?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There are three places to check:

In the Tracks Overview, there are two colunms "Patch" and "Default Patch". You can look at the manual for how they behave. In short, "Default Patch" allows you to choose the patch that will load first before any playback or patch changes occur. The "Patch" column just shows what the currently loaded patch is.

1. Default Patch
2. Event List
3. Virtual instrument itself

1. You can select a default patch, but once you have done so, there isn't a direct way to revert it back to none. I usually just change the Output channel to some other channel and back-- which resets it to "--"

2. You can select the track name, and press SHIFT-E to open the track's event list and look for patch change messages-- which you can delete. Note that if the view filter is suppressing patch change messages, you'll need to make settings on the view filter to show them. You can go to the VIEW pulldown menu and choose "Filters..." or type COMMAND-F then click on Set All.

3. The virtual instrument will let you pick a sound. And as long as the sequence isn't calling a new patch, your initial choice should persist.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've had occasions where automation was in read mode and something I did, like muting a track was recorded. Then couldn't figure out why a track kept muting at a seemingly random point.

Perhaps you had automation on when you selected the patch, and did that somewhere other than right at the start of the track?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It never occurred to me that a patch change could wind up in automation, but I suppose it depends on what the VI publishes as automation targets. (?)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:It never occurred to me that a patch change could wind up in automation, but I suppose it depends on what the VI publishes as automation targets. (?)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote:It never occurred to me that a patch change could wind up in automation, but I suppose it depends on what the VI publishes as automation targets. (?)
It's not the VI or VI automation, it's a MIDI standard, in MIDI automation, patch changes are in the MIDI automation, so they can and are embedded in MIDI files. you will see the in Event lists etc. Plus it hasn't been mentioned yet but DP has a "default patch" embedded in the MIDI track not file, so it's possible that the track itself has the default patch set to the offending reoccurring patch.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I guess I never think of MIDI CC's and things in the MIDI event list as "automation", just MIDI. But yea, that makes sense.