NI Komplete Kontrol

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

NI Komplete Kontrol

Post by wdegillio »

Greetings! I'm currently using Native Instruments Komplete 10 and have not updated to 12 as of yet. Since their apps such as FM8 have not had significant updates in a while, I was looking at downloading Komplete Kontrol, which seems to function as their interface for the total collection. Has anyone experienced any issues or problems with using Komplete Kontrol with DP? (I'm still on Version 9.52 running OS 10.14.4 on my 2012 Mac Mini.) As you can see below, I'm not using an NI Kontroller, but I see that it will probably integrate with my Novation controller well enough for my purposes.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

P.S. Is there any truth to the rumor that NI is going to release a plugin called "Spell Korrect", which auto-senses the content of your text and replaces all "C"'s with "K"'s when posting about their products?
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: NI Komplete Kontrol

Post by terrybritton »

wdegillio wrote:Greetings! I'm currently using Native Instruments Komplete 10 and have not updated to 12 as of yet. Since their apps such as FM8 have not had significant updates in a while, I was looking at downloading Komplete Kontrol, which seems to function as their interface for the total collection. Has anyone experienced any issues or problems with using Komplete Kontrol with DP? (I'm still on Version 9.52 running OS 10.14.4 on my 2012 Mac Mini.) As you can see below, I'm not using an NI Kontroller, but I see that it will probably integrate with my Novation controller well enough for my purposes.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

P.S. Is there any truth to the rumor that NI is going to release a plugin called "Spell Korrect", which auto-senses the content of your text and replaces all "C"'s with "K"'s when posting about their products?
I use Komplete Kontrol daily and have never had an issue. It works with non-NI controllers now, as you apparently have guessed. I am a beta tester for Komplete Kontrol and for Maschine 2, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Terry

P.S. If so, well, I haven't been asked to beta test THAT! What a krazy idea!
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

For anyone stumbling across this post because they have bought a Mk1 Native Instruments controller, be forewarned that you must be in multi-record mode to not experience what will appear as a MIDI feedback loop with these older versions of the controllers. They used a proprietary MIDI pathway called "Komplete Kontrol - DAW" that messed things up royally.

This should not affect people using MK2 controllers or just the Komplete Kontrol plugin by itself.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Thank you for the information Terry! I'll give it a test drive this weekend.
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
tbwnm

NI Komplete Kontrol mk2 integration with DP 10

Post by tbwnm »

I'm looking to upgrade from DP 9.5 to DP 10 and purchase a Komplete Kontrol 88mk2 as well as upgrade my OS from Sierra to Catalina. Would appreciate any update regarding integration with DP 10 and the mk2. Namely; can the transport functions on the mk2 be assigned/mapped in "Commands" under "Set Up" in DP and is it possible integrate NI instrument control from the mk2 when an NI instrument is assigned as a plug-in to an instrument track in DP with Kontakt 5 or does this only work in the stand alone version of Kontakt? Also, is it possible to record NI instrument automation from the mk2 on an instrument track in DP or again does this only possible with the stand alone version of Kontakt?
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

So does the light guide work with East West Play instruments?
IK Multimedia? UVI? Is it still completely up to NI or can you program your own colors for keyswitches?

When using the Komplete Kontrol plug in to control a Kontakt instrument with mapped parameters and light guides, can you use the transport in DP10? I get that you can use the Komplete Kontrol in Mackie emulation to use the transport buttons in DP etc. but is that limited to only when switched to that mode or can it work in DP10 while controlling a Kontakt light guide mapped plug in?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Bumping
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

Michael Canavan wrote:So does the light guide work with East West Play instruments?
IK Multimedia? UVI? Is it still completely up to NI or can you program your own colors for keyswitches?
I can only respond to these. Unless something has changed recently, Komplete Control only shows light guides from instruments in the Komplete Kontrol ecosystem. I returned my mk2 rather quickly, but I don't recall anything about being able to program your own guides.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

At this time, you still cannot program your own light guides. The whole idea behind "Komplete Kontrol" and the NKS system is that developers work with NI to set up what features their software offers. They do have to pay NI for the privilege, but it still puts it on them (the developers) whether they give this to their customers or not. The following companies have "paid the piper" and feature various depths of NKS support via the Komplete Kontrol software: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... -products/ If your favorite software or plugins do not possess such features, I would pressure the developers of that software to get on the stick. It is their fault, not NI's, that you don't have those features with their software.

A light-guide editing system has been discussed but it is not something available yet.

The transport buttons on the Komplete Kontrol keyboards are there primarily to control the Maschine 2 software. The mk2 series have many buttons whose only function is to control Maschine. If you have one of these and downloaded Maschine 2, I recommend learning it in standalone mode first and mastering it there before using it inside a DAW as a plugin. It is quite a powerful tool, though at this stage is not intended to replace a DAW by any means (though some do succeed in using it as such).

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Michael Canavan

terrybritton wrote: The transport buttons on the Komplete Kontrol keyboards are there primarily to control the Maschine 2 software. The mk2 series have many buttons whose only function is to control Maschine. If you have one of these and downloaded Maschine 2, I recommend learning it in standalone mode first and mastering it there before using it inside a DAW as a plugin. It is quite a powerful tool, though at this stage is not intended to replace a DAW by any means (though some do succeed in using it as such).
Just so you know, yeah that's not true. Cubase, Live, Logic all are supported for transport control.
ADVANCED FUNCTIONALITY IN THE FOLLOWING HOSTS

Logic X 10.3.1 or higher
GarageBand 10.2.0 or higher
Ableton Live 9.2.3 or higher
Cubase Artist / Pro 8.5 or higher
Nuendo 7.1.35 or higher
Studio One 4.5 or higher
They seem to be using some sort of Mackie Control, but from what I've found it's specific to these DAWs, so it won't work in DP. :x
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:
terrybritton wrote: The transport buttons on the Komplete Kontrol keyboards are there primarily to control the Maschine 2 software. The mk2 series have many buttons whose only function is to control Maschine. If you have one of these and downloaded Maschine 2, I recommend learning it in standalone mode first and mastering it there before using it inside a DAW as a plugin. It is quite a powerful tool, though at this stage is not intended to replace a DAW by any means (though some do succeed in using it as such).
Just so you know, yeah that's not true. Cubase, Live, Logic all are supported for transport control.

Logic X 10.3.1 or higher
Nuendo 7.1.35 or higher
Studio One 4.5 or higher
They seem to be using some sort of Mackie Control, but from what I've found it's specific to these DAWs, so it won't work in DP. :x
Those are special scripts provided by NI - I meant the basic functionality, not the special scripts' additional functions (obviously!). :roll:
Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Michael Canavan

terrybritton wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:

Logic X 10.3.1 or higher
Nuendo 7.1.35 or higher
Studio One 4.5 or higher
Those are special scripts provided by NI - I meant the basic functionality, not the special scripts' additional functions (obviously!). :roll:
Terry
Hey, I'm not sure why you're giving me eye rolls? You stated-
The transport buttons on the Komplete Kontrol keyboards are there primarily to control the Maschine 2 software.
These aren't super special scripts or anything, it's control surface support made directly by NI for those DAWs. They allow Cubase etc. to use the transport just like Maschine, and navigate the software etc. This is common stuff for Bitwig, Live, Logic, Cubase etc. etc.

As far as special scripts goes, that would be the DrivenbyMoss scripts, ( Bitwig and "DAW that cannot be named until it gets a proper demo mode" ), scripts found here. These are pretty fantastic actually, I wish Möss used DP10. :(

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Software.html
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:These aren't super special scripts or anything, it's control surface support made directly by NI for those DAWs. They allow Cubase etc. to use the transport just like Maschine, and navigate the software etc. This is common stuff for Bitwig, Live, Logic, Cubase etc. etc.

As far as special scripts goes, that would be the DrivenbyMoss scripts, ( Bitwig and "DAW that cannot be named until it gets a proper demo mode" ), scripts found here. These are pretty fantastic actually, I wish Möss used DP10. :(

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Software.html
Well, they were super-special scripts at the time. Many people were angry that only Ableton was done at first, and slowly the others appeared.

I too wish Möss would do a DP script. Or anyone!

Full-disclosure - I am a beta tester for NI Komplete Kontrol, Maschine 2 and Massive X, and also was/am a beta tester for the Mk2 series of keyboards. So, there is a lot I cannot say due to the non-disclosure agreement. The Komplete Kontrol forums are a good place to lobby for improvements, though.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

p.pan

Post by p.pan »

Hi,

No new development concerning the integration of Komplete Kontrol and DP??
I am interessted to buy a komplete Kontrol s49 mkII.

Thanks.
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

p.pan wrote:Hi,

No new development concerning the integration of Komplete Kontrol and DP??
I am interessted to buy a komplete Kontrol s49 mkII.

Thanks.
No new "integration" developments, but it works great and has even more features now.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid