Seeking Advice in Choosing New Apple Computer

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Seeking Advice in Choosing New Apple Computer

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

Hope all are safe and sound, and remain safe and sound, throughout this dreadful pandemic.

First, please note the specifications of my trusty, old 2009/2010 Mac Pro computer below. As you can see, although it has served me well throughout recent years, it's beginning to show signs of its age. For example, I recently attempted to created a new, larger orchestral templet (housed with VSL's VEPro 7, and with DP10 as the sequencing program). This templet used VLS's newer "Synchronized" Special Edition VIs, in addition to rhythm section instruments (for jazz-fusion band/orchestra sound). At least by my modest standards, it really was a large templet, which took hours to create. Sadly, the computer choked, even with the additional RAM that I purchased for it a year ago. It even choked when I increased DP 10's buffer size. (All of my older, and "smaller" large templets work.)

I wish to remain in the "Apple Computer Realm". . . .

I'm looking at the newer 16" MacBook Pro and Apple's newer iMac computers, both with the latest i9 processors. I also want either of the computers to have 8 GBs of VRAM for my modest video-editing projects. Additionally, whichever computer I purchase will, hopefully, be configured with 64 GBs RAM to accommodate the new, larger templets. It seems that both the newer 16" MacBook Pro, and Apple's newer iMac computer configured with the i9 processor, have similar capabilities. (Both can be configured to have the similar i9 processor, both can be configured with the same dedicated video card with 8 GBs VRAM, and both can be configured to hold 64 GBs RAM.) The MacBook Pro is portable, which is nice. However, the iMac has more inputs for expansion. (Although either one can be expanded with additional external SSDs using a combination of Thunderbolt 3 docks.)

The most important question is this. Can either of these newer apple computers, using the i9 processors, configured with 64 GBs of RAM, handle large band/orchestral templets from various VI companies (as I attempted to do) without choking??

If both CAN handle large VI templets, the which would be better, the MacBook Pro, or the iMac??

Thank you for any thoughtful insight that you share.

Respectfully,
Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
HCMarkus

Re: Seeking Advice in Choosing New Apple Computer

Post by HCMarkus »

Did someone here at MOTUNation recently report issues with the Vienna Synchron VI? You might have a search here, and a more general search of the web as well... could be your issue is specific to the VI, and might not be resolved with a new computer.

Good luck regardless, and hang in there in NY!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Although HCM may be right that your real issue may be a VI—and you should find out, let's address the question you asked.

A tricked out i9 iMac is like a fast car. If you're a gamer, that's the Mac you want even though most of your friends are doing it on their custom PCs they built from parts at Fry's.

What you are doing is heavy lifting. Get a truck. A pumped up 5.1 Mac Pro makes a good truck though it is showing its age and there are things it cannot do nowadays (Massiv). The current Mini/iMac Pro/Mac Pro 7.1 are trucks and the T2 MacBook Pros can be in some respects.

All T2 Macs with 10G Ethernet have the ability to be linked to form a more powerful single machine. In 2018, Apple was showing stacks of 5, 10 & 20 Minis crunching AV and animation files that previously required a $150,000 Maya Box running Windows 10 (a $56k Mac Pro does the same thing faster).

The Mini needs eGPU for what you are asking and when fully pumped with a decent 5K monitor, eGPU, RAM and storage is about the same price as a basic iMac Pro that begins at $4,249 and specs a bit better. This model is always available in the Refurb store. It's Apple's way of lowering the price without actually lowering the price. Check it often if not in a hurry as higher models show up all the time.
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

The i9 fans roar when pushed (as do all gaming PCs) when asked to do real work while the iMP's do not due to their superior cooling. It doesn't matter what the Geekbench scores say—the real world where pros are doing large graphics, AV and audio projects know the i9 is a tricked out home computer.

One test done awhile ago pushed a 6.1, 12 core Mac Pro to 150 tracks, each with a VI, convo reverb and another plugin in each instance. The 6.1 was not liking it and choked a little. Dumping that same project into a 10 core iMac Pro and doubling it to 300 tracks, the machine didn't break a sweat.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Thank you, both, for the thoughtful replies. . .

Regarding VSL's "Synchronized" Special Edition VIs, I will do some research on them as suggested.

The two computers, the iMac (with i9 processor) and the MacBook Pro, that I am considering have the i9 8-core processors. I was looking to purchase either one of them from Best Buy (believe it or not!), simply because I have the credit to make such an $$$ purchase. So, for good or for bad, where I make the purchase is also a factor at the present time. I can wait, though, and do more research. My trusty 'ol Mac Pro ain't dead yet!

Stay Safe, please!! (I'm an ICU Nurse. This Covid-19 virus ain't fun at all.)
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

zuul-studios wrote:Thank you, both, for the thoughtful replies. . .
Thank you for your work in this challenging time. :headbang:
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

HCMarkus wrote:
zuul-studios wrote:Thank you, both, for the thoughtful replies. . .
Thank you for your work in this challenging time. :headbang:
This!

Also interested in this topic because my old computer just bit the dust.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
difab4

Post by difab4 »

The i9 iMac effortlessly chews through anything I throw at it, though my projects are never more than 30 ish tracks with (usually multiple) plugins on all. I do not have Vienna. Fcpx is seemless and instantly responsive with no render time, though when using multiple simultaneous transitions and slicex I sometimes have to close other programs or it might drop frames, but it has never crashed. I’m assuming you know but if you somehow missed it, don’t buy the ram from apple! Get the least amount, 8gb, then get 3rd party. There’s errs ram door on the back and a cinch to install yourself.
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Follow-Up -

Well. . . I ended up purchasing an iMac Pro with 64 GB RAM and the better 16 GB graphics card. It has four native Thunderbolt 3 inputs. . . and all are used with external SSD drives. It came a couple of days ago. I am STILL loading up my VI libraries. . . and purchased a couple of new ones including the VSL's Symphonic Cube. (Wow. . . It takes forever for everything to download!) My happy yet aging refurbished 2009/2010 Mac Pro is still running! I'm going to keep it until it finally goes to Computer Heaven.

I also purchased another MOTU Digital Performer 10. For the life of me, I could not find the Code Key to initiate the older (purchased) copy, that I already own, on the new computer. The new DP 10 was purchased at a reduced "upgrade" price. I also purchased MOTU's 828 ES audio device, which more than meets my modest needs. (It's highly configurable, which is cool.) I certainly do not mind giving MOTU some business.

I'm hoping this newer set-up will last for me as long as the older Mac Pro lasted. (I purchased it used back in around 2014/2015.) So far, so good!

Here's to LOTS of music-making (and video-editing!) :)

Cheers!

Ted
Computer:

Software: