MOTUNation is one of DPs top features

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTUNation is one of DPs top features

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm in and out of a number of different online communities, and have many actual friends who are sometimes in the market for a DAW. These days, I think most DAWs can get the job done, and I'm hesitant to go out on a limb and say "DP is the best, you need DP", I'm too old for that kinda talk. But one feature of DP rises above all others, and that's this community. I think that's an extremely important necessity in this age of complex professional software environments. You're going to have questions, and you're going to want to bounce ideas off of other respectful individuals. Without a good community, using a creative software package becomes a shot in the dark, no matter how well-constructed it is.

This post wasn't meant to be a love-fest (sorta looks like one now that I re-read it), but a serious statement about the importance of a good and active information repository.

I tried Logic last summer for some MPE-heavy projects. It was alright, I actually didn't hate it (I didn't love it, but whatever). But the online presence was a wasteland, from what I could see. Too many loud novices and geeks with a chip on their shoulder, not enough helpful advise. Kind of killed it for me. Had I started with Logic, I don't know how far I would have gotten.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Re: MOTUNation is one of DPs top features

Post by mikehalloran »

A buddy of mine is a lurker. Like I, he also does music for a local Lutheran church (I'm working for two at the moment) but he's still doing it in DP 5 on a G5—my setup for years.

It's not unusual for him to text a question to me and then a few minutes later text the correct answer that he found here. Yesterday, he quoted something I wrote here to ask me if I was still correct.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:Yesterday, he quoted something I wrote here to ask me if I was still correct.
I just say, "I used to be conceited, but now I'm perfect." :wink:

Full concurrence with Prime Mover on this one. This and Arstechnica are my favorites, with MacRumors following in third.

and, by the way... Thank You James Steele!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yup.

UnicorNation, as it was known back then, was the first forum I ever joined. The love is deep and long-lasting, as is my eternal thanks to James for making all this possible.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Amen to that! Thanks James!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

And let's not forget Doris.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.