Problems setting up Zoom.US with DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problems setting up Zoom.US with DP

Post by rosindabow »

Hi all,
So I am working in this new age adaptation and having to use Zoom.us to travel to many of my clients and colleagues. I have tried to take the audio off of my DP10 file and stream it but I have gotten nothing but odd compression and horrible sounding piano. I have had friends working in Logic and get a very nice, fairly full sound out of their DAW. I believe we are setting things up the same, one of the differences I am looking into is DP vs Logic. I have an Apogee Symphony 64 PCIe card and an Apogee I/O. I'm running a 2012 Mac Pro with 2 30" monitors so obviously, I have to bring in an external camera. I am using a Zoom Q2n-4K - (unsure if both Zoom companies are at all related). When I set up the app, I select my Symphony 64 as my hardware interface inside Zoom.us and then run my live setup (stereo piano and vocal mic) inside DP. Sounds beautiful in the studio but what comes out of the zoom.us app - sounds like dog crap. I have adjusted the setting inside the zoom.us app .. I've taken off the Suppress Persistent Background Noise and Suppress Intermittent Background Noise features inside zoom.us, but it still sounds terrible. Is there why reason why Logic users can make their setup sound so much better than my DP setup? Tomorrow I will try to do everything exactly the same way except I'm going to do it inside Logic. I will post back when I have an update.In the meantime, if anyone has any great ideas, please post. Thanks very much!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
HCMarkus

Re: Problems setting up Zoom.US with DP

Post by HCMarkus »

I’ll be shocked if Logic magically sounds better. Something is almost certainly different about the way your friends are either setting up Zoom or getting audio into Zoom. If anything other than the Zoom software itself, I’d expect the issue to arise in or around your audio interface. Are your friends outputting audio from identical interfaces? If so, compare interface settings with them
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I was just wondering if it was some way that DP was outputting the material to the Zoom app that was different than Logic. Like I said, I love the way everything sounds live in the room, it feels like it it might be something in the way that DP is interacting with Zoom.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I use them both, and I can tell you for sure that Logic Pro does NOT sound better than DP. If one can be said to sound better, it's Digital Performer.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I love DP - I know that it sounds great! I'm just trying to figure out why I cannot get DP and Zoom to play nice. I am going to try both Logic and Pro Tools over the weekend to see if there's any difference. I have plenty of time these days ...
Thanks.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Maybe has something to do with audio output from the DAW. Zoom will let you add computer audio into the web stream. Set DP to use the built-in outputs of the computer and see if that gives you a clean signal over Zoom.

Dave
ze3b
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ze3b »

I believe that I read that Zoom does not support multi-channel ASIO driver types so as far as inputs are concerned use only 1 & 2 at least these is true on my Focusrite Clarett X.

also this on creating a mix suitable for video conferencing

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... 5000794545

This is using focusrite Control but You may be able to get some tips from this.

HTH,
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

To get full spectrum audio in Zoom you have to jump thru a few easy hoops.

Go to the preferences/audio and scroll down to Advanced (which doesn't always appear onscreen until you scroll down).

Then scroll to the top and check USE ORIGINAL AUDIO. Also UNCHECK the background noise cancellation but leave the last setting to AUTO.

THEN... EVERY TIME you want to use better quality (any time you want to play music, for sure) go to the top left of the screen and select USE ORIGINAL AUDIO. Zoom always defaults to the crappy audio otherwise.

That should fix it. I've done a few music sessions (live performance, accompanied dance classes, etc) and the results were near perfect. Be sure to select your audio source correctly. IOW, don't use webcam audio, but select your audio device/card. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have it working

Zoom supports "computer audio" and "computer sound".

On a Mac, Zoom will play back iTunes without special settings but a DAW works at 48k only without using something like Soundflower or Loopback.

Watch the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMu3C3cpVLg

It helps you navigate the 75 page free book.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qGqDh5 ... lY1_r/view

There are many things to understand. If there's a simple shortcut, I can't see one.

Although my wife and I never have to use our paid account at the same time, I'm thinking about getting second. The settings she needs for her classroom work are different than the ones I use for band and choir rehearsals.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Yes, Mike, I followed that video and read the book also. On a PC you would use a virtual mixer with ASIO capabilities to tie into the soundcard like Voicemeeter Banana, which is what I use to accomplish this.

It sounds pretty darn good - in stereo and clean as can be! No compression. I do sound mixing remotely with my colleague - she in Australia adjusting the balances on her end, me in N.E. NC! I can even take control of her screen mouse and keyboard from my seat here and edit for her if I wanted to. :-)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
BobK

Post by BobK »

mikehalloran wrote:I have it working

Zoom supports "computer audio" and "computer sound".

On a Mac, Zoom will play back iTunes without special settings but a DAW works at 48k only without using something like Soundflower or Loopback.

Watch the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMu3C3cpVLg

It helps you navigate the 75 page free book.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qGqDh5 ... lY1_r/view

There are many things to understand. If there's a simple shortcut, I can't see one.
Thanks for the links!

A lot of this was familiar (I've been teaching on Zoom for 6 weeks) but the DAW stuff is new.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
pbuchta1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by pbuchta1 »

This is messy, no matter what way you look at it. Collaboration over Zoom or Skype using aggregate plugins forces me to convert all of my 828x inputs and outputs to something different. A better, but albeit, more expensive solution would be to go out and buy a second interface box just to interface with Zoom. I would take the spidif outputs from my 828x and feed it into an input of a two channel USB interface and have that connect with Zoom. This way I am able to work on my projects without having to change back to the 828x interface inputs and outputs.Since I work with a combination of DP10 audio, MIDI, virtual instruments, and hardware from my rack I need to keep the interface mess as simple as possible.
Peter Buchta
pbuchta1@gmail.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I know we're picking up an old thread here.

I don't think internet upload speed has been mentioned. My ISP provides pretty slow upload speeds. Also, at different times of the day, it is uneven.

Also, turning off video can get you a little more upload room. Also, turning off strereo.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com