What we can surmise from Performer Lite

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What we can surmise from Performer Lite

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Michael Canavan wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And thus pissing in the wind devolves into a pissing contest. :rofl: Commenting on speculation is not like speculating on speculation. Butt eye digress.
Do you really think there are no clues in Lite as to what we might expect in the next update to DP?

I get that unfounded speculation makes you upset, but I don't get why speculation on things that we have possible clues about is somehow verboten?
Please don’t try to assign what you THINK my reactions might be. If you continue to try and make this personal I’ll be compelled to block you.

Thank you.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

So reading through the Performer Lite manual there's a new Velocity Tool.
From the manual:
VELOCITY TOOL
The Velocity tool allows you to click on a
MIDI note and drag up or down to adjust
its velocity. You can also swipe
horizontally in the continuous data grid in the
MIDI Editor or the note velocity lane in the
Sequence Editor to adjust multiple note velocities
in a single gesture.
This all makes perfect sense as far as the recently introduced Velocity meters in the MIDI notes in DP.
This is something lifted from Logic that makes total sense to introduce to DP.
So the little v's in the CC editor will not have to be dealt with really in the future! :headbang:

I'm still in shock with how great Lite looks? it's more than competitive with most major DAWs even with the missing features compared to DP10. Great stuff! Hoping it makes it to DP10 'pro' soon!
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

VELOCITY TOOL
The Velocity tool allows you to click on a
MIDI note and drag up or down to adjust
its velocity. You can also swipe
horizontally in the continuous data grid in the
MIDI Editor or the note velocity lane in the
Sequence Editor to adjust multiple note velocities
in a single gesture.
Yes! Many of us were surprised and disappointed that DP10's new velocity meters weren't also an alternative way to adjust velocities (not just see them). DP's awkward, tiny velocity stems are high on the list of DP's drawbacks imo. I'd say it's a safe bet DP10 (.1?) will have this tool.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

dix wrote:Yes! Many of us were surprised and disappointed that DP10's new velocity meters weren't also an alternative way to adjust velocities (not just see them). DP's awkward, tiny velocity stems are high on the list of DP's drawbacks imo. I'd say it's a safe bet DP10 (.1?) will have this tool.
Yeah I was disappointed for sure! I'm definitely hoping for 10.1 unless they want a huge swelling of butthurt DP10 users! :lol:

There's a lot of typos in the Lite manual related to Tracks Overview and the MIDI editor, they're mentioned a few times, but they don't exist in Lite. Don't have any opinion about it, just an observation.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Michael Canavan wrote: I'm definitely hoping for 10.1 unless they want a huge swelling of butthurt DP10 users! :lol:
:rofl: great phrase Michael !
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Michael Canavan

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Now the surmising is behind us, did we conclude anything? I've seen a couple of posts about it crashing on Windows, but not much else.

Has anyone made use of it?
Is it stable on a Mac?
Does it have any advantages over DP (speed, efficiency, simplicity?)
Are the any circumstance where you would use it rather than DP?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tremo

Post by tremo »

Incidently, without much fanfare MOTU released a Performer Lite 10.12 update a few days ago (at the same time as new M2/M4 drivers).
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8
Michael Canavan

tremo wrote:Incidently, without much fanfare MOTU released a Performer Lite 10.12 update a few days ago (at the same time as new M2/M4 drivers).
Hopefully a DP10.12 is coming soon, probably too late for bug reports but Step Record is hosed on my system. Was trying to lazily enter in a bunch of 2 measure 3 note chords and they come out as 6 measures of three single notes in a row... :evil:

(and today it's working fine... the suckest of bugs.. )
Michael Canavan

tremo wrote:Incidently, without much fanfare MOTU released a Performer Lite 10.12 update a few days ago (at the same time as new M2/M4 drivers).
BTW, any new features or just bug fixes?
tremo

Post by tremo »

Michael Canavan wrote: BTW, any new features or just bug fixes?
TBH, I haven't used Performer Lite all that much, just poked around a bit. And I can't find a readme or new features file for PL 10.12 anywhere. But I can see that at least one bug was fixed. We know there's no Tracks Overview in PL, but in the original version if you did the TO key comand (Shift-T), it would actually open up a TO! Totally non-functional, because as soon as you clicked anything PL would crash. I'm guessing this was a leftover bit of DP code that made it into PL, and has now been eliminated. Probably other stuff like this has been cleaned up too.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8