Best way to use RX7 standard with DP 9.52

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best way to use RX7 standard with DP 9.52

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:I had a Yamaha RX11, too. Really not so great, but I did a ton of duo and trio gigs with it back in the day.

It was my need to carry more song programs than the RX11 onboard memory allowed (combined with the need to write a small business college term paper) that ended up with my brother in law and I designing and manufacturing the FourPlay Data Cartridge for the RX11 and DX7. We sold about 1,000 units, and I never ran short on RX memory space again.

The RX7 was a big improvement, but the little ol' Alesis SR16 really worked well for gigs for me, with its fill/pattern change foot switch. Used that one for years.
I had one of those cartridges sold it to a buddy for his DX7 when I sold the RX11.

Technically, I still own an SR16. Having lunch tomorrow with the friend I loaned it to many years ago. I'm getting back the bass cabinet I took around the world so, who knows? Hmmmm... she also has my 2408—wonder if she uses that stuff anymore. Forgot about the SR16 till just now.
Overwriting the original file will replace (overwrite) the soundbite in your DP project. This works just like the round trip using RX connect

Or Export Selection which makes a new file that can be dragged into your DP project and leave the original audio untouched.
Good tip!
:brucelee:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:I had one of those cartridges sold it to a buddy for his DX7 when I sold the RX11.
Thanks Mike! You helped me buy my first house.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

HCMarkus wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I had one of those cartridges sold it to a buddy for his DX7 when I sold the RX11.
Thanks Mike! You helped me buy my first house.
I think I had one as well. I sold DX7 programs for a few years in Keyboard magazine under the name FutureNow. I sold in several formats and people would also send carts and I'd load them and send back. Those were the days, huh? God bless Dropbox!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I've finally started to delve into RX7 Audio Editor as an external waveform editor in DP... I have one issue maybe someone can shed some light on...

When I select a region of audio, or highlight a soundbite that I manually cut so it's only that word or phrase in a vocal track, RX7 always opens the whole original soundbite no matter what... I only want that short soundbite, but I get often 8 bars or 16 bars of the original soundbite, even after cutting into smaller soundbites...

hope this makes sense :D
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
Drumwizard

Post by Drumwizard »

Use Merge Soundbites command (menu Audio) for selected region then open RX.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Drumwizard wrote:Use Merge Soundbites command (menu Audio) for selected region then open RX.
Thanks so much...works perfectly now :D
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

bleach30 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am While the RX connect doesn't work, you can set up an RX as the external audio editor:

Audio Menu/
Use External Waveform Editor
Then choose RX as your editor.

Select the Soundbite you want to clean up and goto:

Audio Menu/
Edit in Waveform Editor (shift+8)

Audio opens in the RX standalone app.
Do whatever processing you want and then once done you have a couple of choices...
Overwrite the original file
Export Selection

Overwriting the original file will replace (overwrite) the soundbite in your DP project. This works just like the round trip using RX connect

Or Export Selection which makes a new file that can be dragged into your DP project and leave the original audio untouched.
After using RX8 regularly in Pro Tools with RX Connect and RX Monitor, I'm trying to use it in DP without Connect/Monitor following the above suggestion. I'd like to send ONLY a snipped portion of an audio waveform I've selected in DP to RX8, is this possible? When I select the snipped part to send to the RX stand alone editor, it sends the entire waveform. Thanks.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

I’ve had a similar experience with the whole file being extracted into RX 7 when I just needed a small part of the audio I don’t know the answer but I have a bigger question how did you overwrite the audio file in digital performer and could you be as specific as possible when it comes to the exact steps to take.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Rusty Shackleford wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm
After using RX8 regularly in Pro Tools with RX Connect and RX Monitor, I'm trying to use it in DP without Connect/Monitor following the above suggestion. I'd like to send ONLY a snipped portion of an audio waveform I've selected in DP to RX8, is this possible? When I select the snipped part to send to the RX stand alone editor, it sends the entire waveform. Thanks.
Hey there rusty. What I do, is use i beam tool over the area we wanna send, hit cmd Y, then hit the merge hot key. That gives me only the small section sent over to RX adv.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Rusty Shackleford

labman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:18 am
Rusty Shackleford wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm
Hey there rusty. What I do, is use i beam tool over the area we wanna send, hit cmd Y, then hit the merge hot key. That gives me only the small section sent over to RX adv.
I appreciate your reply, labman. So, in DP, you select the area you want to send to RX and hit cmd-Y? My cmd-Y is Change Velocity which I'm guessing is not how you have it setup. Not following the 'merge hot key' step, either. Can you elaborate a bit further on the steps sending only the selected waveform portion to RX and then back to DP? Many thanks.
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Perhaps this will help:

Highlight your area you want to send to RX in the main soundbite with the I-beam tool.

CMD-Y is used to "split" it into a separate soundbite. But it will still be connected to the original soundbite when edited, so you will need to turn it into it's own individual soundbite. You do this by selecting the newly created soundbite and choose "merge soundbites" in the Audio menu. Now you have a separate soundbite that can be sent to RX.

Select this and use the "edit in external editor" with RX selected.

I hope that helps.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
Rusty Shackleford

sayatnova wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:37 pm Perhaps this will help:

Highlight your area you want to send to RX in the main soundbite with the I-beam tool.

CMD-Y is used to "split" it into a separate soundbite. But it will still be connected to the original soundbite when edited, so you will need to turn it into it's own individual soundbite. You do this by selecting the newly created soundbite and choose "merge soundbites" in the Audio menu. Now you have a separate soundbite that can be sent to RX.

Select this and use the "edit in external editor" with RX selected.

I hope that helps.
Very helpful, sayatnova. Got it now. Thank you much!
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

You are very welcome. Glad I could add to the conversation in a helpful way.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB