"Practice Safe Thunderbolt"

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"Practice Safe Thunderbolt"

Post by Prime Mover »

Maybe I'm late to the party, but it seems confusing, so I thought I'd drop a warning.

Until yesterday, I didn't know that USB-C cables and officially branded Thunderbolt3 cables are different. THEY ARE! They have entirely different power and bandwidth ratings. Using a USB-C cable on something like a drive that's designed to be TB can harm the device and cause disconnections. I figured it was just a way for Intel/Apple to make money, because they use the same jacks and look identical, but no, don't interchange USB-C and TB3 cables!

This actually caused me weeks of problems with a new RAID5 array I was setting up, huge sucker. 8-days just to certify the drives as okay to use. It kept dropping every 24 hours or so and screwing up my tests. I had no idea it was the cable. Did a little reading and yes, they're two very different things. Figure them being a similar situation as 1/4" line cables vs speaker cables.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: "Practice Safe Thunderbolt"

Post by dix »

Thanks for posting. I had no idea! For better or worse, remaining on a 5,1 cMP has spared me from having to know very much about USB-C, Thunderbolt and any other pipes invented after 2009. But the day will come soon, and I'll need to get up to speed.

Here's an article I came across, just today, that lays out the various modern cabling options that might be helpful. https://ask.audio/articles/usb-past-pre ... 2oDnobQwDE
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com