Catalina

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Averill
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Catalina

Post by Rick Averill »

So are any of you guys using Catalina yet? Is it working with DP and other related apps? (Altiverb, Garritan libraries, Keyboard Maestro?)
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Catalina

Post by bayswater »

I have a Catalina test volume. Most stuff I use works, although some older things I don't use much don't work, and I don't expect them to be updated. But I haven't changed to Catalina because I haven't found anything it does better.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:I have a Catalina test volume. Most stuff I use works, although some older things I don't use much don't work, and I don't expect them to be updated. But I haven't changed to Catalina because I haven't found anything it does better.
I also have it on my test machine. Catalina does a few things better but not where DP is concerned.

I think I made my final purchase yesterday (I hope) before upgrading my iMac Pro. Still have more work to do but I’m not in a hurry.

Don’t be those guys on Facebook who post, “I just updated to Catalina and now (fill in the blank) doesn’t work. What do I do? Please help!”

I still need to run some updates and convert my old ClarisDraw and AppleWorks files — found an app, EazyDraw, but need to run the 32bit version and save the results now so that I can access the files in the 64 bit version later if I want. The 64 bit version can’t convert the old files. One purchase gets you both versions but you have to email Support for the 32 bit key code—got back to me in 5 minutes. Ok...

The big thing for me is deciding if I want to use Finale or Dorico for my church work now that I have a gig again where I do 2–5 charts a week. Encore is faster for me one-handed but it’s still 32 bit, dammit. I’ll switch off doing my charts in both for the next few weeks to see if I can find a workflow that… uh… works for me. Overture and Notion are out of the running.

I’ll write a more detailed report about this journey, how much I spent and a few bargains I found around the time I make the switch — more daunting than OS 9 to OS X. It’s bad enough that I have an old G4 to fire up some apps that never made that leap. Trying not to keep my 2010 iMac, too. I may revert my 2012 MBP to an older OS if necessary.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
leigh

Post by leigh »

mikehalloran wrote:
The big thing for me is deciding if I want to use Finale or Dorico for my church work now that I have a gig again where I do 2–5 charts a week. Encore is faster for me one-handed but it’s still 32 bit, dammit. I’ll switch off doing my charts in both for the next few weeks to see if I can find a workflow that… uh… works for me. Overture and Notion are out of the running.
Notation Express https://www.nycmusicservices.com/notation-express/ and a StreamDeck https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck might let Dorico work for you.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Getting Catalina to work with the stuff you already have is a complicated issue. For instance, while I can use Finale 26.2 (and nothing earlier), and I can get Aria Player updated to work and use the Finale Instruments, I can't get Finale to recognize the latest Aria Player. Waiting for some word back from Make Music about how to do this. While I can run Sibelius 7.5, I can't get it authorized since Avid License Control is 32-bit. I'll have to pay to update it. I can't get a lot of my favorite old stuff to run, like B4 and Peak, but that's the price to pay for being on the bleeding edge.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

leigh wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
Notation Express https://www.nycmusicservices.com/notation-express/ and a StreamDeck https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck might let Dorico work for you.

**Leigh
Ooooo... that does look interesting. Think I'll try the iOS version with my iPad first—if that works out, I can decide if I want to add the hardware.

Thanks!
I can't get it authorized since Avid License Control is 32-bit.
I had to play that game with an Adobe app. Fortunately, I was able to use APFS Snapshots to roll my system back a few hours, authorize, then reinstall Catalina. WT...???? A month later, this was fixed but still... Part of the growing pains for certain.

On the fence about upgrading SampleTank to 4. I hardly use it except for Philharmonik 2 and it was updated last week for 10.15 compatible.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Thanks for your replies. This confirms my suspicions. Despite the annoying notifications, I will hold off on Catalina for now.
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This is the terminal command to turn off Catalina update notifications.

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

bayswater wrote:This is the terminal command to turn off Catalina update notifications.

Thank you for that. Do you type it just as you have shown, with spaces and all?
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Averill wrote:
bayswater wrote:This is the terminal command to turn off Catalina update notifications.

Thank you for that. Do you type it just as you have shown, with spaces and all?
Usually best to get the Terminal app running, then copy and paste the command. It's not a good idea to make errors in Terminal commands. It's unforgiving. You will probably have to give it your password.
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Success! Thank you so much for that.
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
Helen

Post by Helen »

You are a scholar, and probably, and gentleman. Or possibly gentlewoman. But thank you, either way.
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....