trying to install MOTU Instruments Soundbank

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Averill
Primary DAW OS: Windows

trying to install MOTU Instruments Soundbank

Post by Rick Averill »

I just migrated from Mac to Windows and am trying to set up DP to run on my computer. I have downloaded the MOTU Instruments Soundbank according to the online video. But when I unzip the file and open the new folder, there is only a .ufs folder, no installer. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate any help you fine people can give me.

DP 10 on Windows 10
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: trying to install MOTU Instruments Soundbank

Post by mikehalloran »

There’s no installer. The .ufs file are the samples.

You’ll need to download the free UVI player either directly or via the link in your user account at MOTU.com — same thing. You’ll make the call to the player, navigate to and load in the libraries.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Thank you so much for your reply. What you said was correct. I got the soundbank installed the proper folder.

But continuing on in the tutorial video, it said to create an instrument tract using "Instruments with options". Unfortunately, the drop-down menu in the dialog box doesn't list UVI. The options are "unassigned", "Instrument settings", "Garritan" and "MOTU". How do I make the UVI option show up? I tried restarting my computer, but that didn't do it.

Again, any help will be much appreciated.
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Okay, I tried reinstalling the UVI Workstation. It told me that a later version was already installed and that I needed to uninstall it first. So I opened the Windows app settings and uninstalled UVI Workstation 64. I checked, and sure enough, it was gone. Then I went back to the installer and tried again to install it. It got to the same place and gave me the same error message. So I went back to app settings, and indeed it was there. So I uninstalled it again, and ran the installer once more. Same results. I went through this procedure several times and each time the UVI Workstation reappeared. I'm at my wits end. What do I do?
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Not sure what problem you're having with the UVI Workstation installer - one thing you can try there is to install the UVI Portal and let it take care of the installation and updates. Also, I use the old style control panel to uninstall software. You can get to that by selecting 'Programs and Features' in the upper right side in Apps and Features settings screen under related settings.

As far as it not showing up, one possibility is that you are running DP as a 32 bit app and UVI Workstation is 64. Another possibility is that you're running 64 bit, but selected VST3 as your plug default type. UVI doesn't support VST3 so you'd have to select and scan any VST2 plugs you want to use in DP Preferences.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I'll try the apps and features thing a little later today, when I have a bit more time.

I don't know what the UVI portal is or how to install it. If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it.

Again, thanks.
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

The UVI Portal is at the bottom left of this page: https://www.uvi.net/en/instruments

You'll need to set up a UVI account, but that will come in handy if you decide to expand your UVI offerings. They have some very good and interesting sample libraries (they always have something on sale).
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Again, thank you for replying.

I uninstalled the Workstation as you described. I also downloaded the UVI Portal. This time, as it installed the Workstation, I had the Program Files folder open and watched as the installation took place. The UVI Workstation and Steinberg folders were being created as the installation took place! So it was it's own installation that it was objecting to. And yes, I got the same error message with this. But it did install the Workstation. So thank you for that.

But a couple of problems after that: first, when I open the Workstation and try to load a voice, there is no sound. Secondly, UVI is still not showing up in DP when I try to add an instrument track.

So I'm getting closer, but I'm not there.
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

The error that you were/are getting on the install is generated because the UVI installer tries to install the iLok software. It is actually the iLok installer that is generating the error. Just pressing OK is fine - it just skips the iLok install and leaves your installed version untouched. I see how that is confusing.

Do you have a folder C:\Program Files\Vstplugins and if so, is the file UVIWorkstationVSTx64.dll there? This is the default location for VST2 plugs in DP. If it is anywhere else you need to either move it to the default folder or add the folder where it is to the VST locations in DP Preferences.

As for standalone operation . . .
Rick Averill wrote:But a couple of problems after that: first, when I open the Workstation and try to load a voice, there is no sound.
So you've successfully loaded one of the voices via the UVI browser, then have you configured the audio and MIDI I/O? It's the only thing in the file menu.
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Success! It was the VST2 vs. VST3 plug-ins thing.

Thanks for your kind help.
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
Rick Averill

Post by Rick Averill »

Oh, and the audio and MIDI I/O did the trick in the stand alone app. Thanks.
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

After creating instrument with options and choosing UVI there's a messsage in the browser saying: 'Unable to mount the volume from C:/Program Files/UVISoundBanks/MOTU Instruments.ufs' (Invalid file)

Furthermore the MOTU Instruments file contains 0 kB while the Falcon Preset Tour (which I can access) contains 13 805 kB. I've done everything according to the instruction video on YouTube and all but this soundbank is working just fine.

The downloaded zipped file is a little bigger than 4 GB and contains two files of 5 GB each. But as said, the extracted file is at 0 kB.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

MOTU Tech Support suggested I'd try a different extraction app, and that made it work. So my advise is don't use File Viewer Plus on these zip archives.