Tale of 3 Backups

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tale of 3 Backups

Post by Dan Worley »

Hello,

This is a short synopsis of what happened over the course of a few years.

My secondary backup drive went belly up, and since this was the 5th or 6th external drive I had lost, I decided my secondary backup would be online. So, I did a backup of all my DP projects to the cloud using CrashPlan. I tested it to make sure I could recover projects, and I could. But one big error on my part was that I didn't test older projects that used SD2 files. I didn't even think of it.

A couple of years ago — A major hard drive crash that also blanked out my backup drive (The developer of CCC told me the drive crashed in such a way that CCC blanked the destination drive thinking the source drive was empty). Gut punch!

But hey, I had the backup on the cloud so no problem. I purchased 2 new drives, restored files from CrashsPlan, made a backup, and got back to work.

I get a call to update an older project. Cool. But DP won't open it. It's a project that has SD2 files and Mac OS 10.13.5 (what I use) no longer recognizes them.

The error I'm seeing is: "Resource file was not found (-193)"

I try to open other older projects. Nope. Any project with SD2 files won't open in DP. This is years of work that I can't get back into.

Kick in the balls!

The questions is, which Batch Converter can help me out of this? A Support Tech at MOTU suggested I try Audaptor, but it looks like that app has been abandoned. I can't find a valid download. I tried Sound Grinder but it didn't recognize any of the old SD2 files, so now I'm wondering if they're corrupt from the trip to the cloud and back. Maybe something else got stripped from the file structure.

Did you guys know this SD2 thing was coming? Did you get any warning from MOTU? I just don't remember seeing anything. I guess I needed to be more attentive and forward thinking.

Thanks.
DP10.13
cuttime

Re: Tale of 3 Backups

Post by cuttime »

Hey Dan! Don't make yourself scarce! I haven't tried it, but DSP Quattro 5 claims to be SDII compatible. There's a demo, but it won't write to disk, but maybe you can find out what you need to know.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

cuttime wrote:Hey Dan! Don't make yourself scarce! I haven't tried it, but DSP Quattro 5 claims to be SDII compatible. There's a demo, but it won't write to disk, but maybe you can find out what you need to know.
Thanks. I have DSPQ5 (wonderful app) but it will not open/import/convert these older SD2 files.

I'm starting to think I'm screwed.
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 9.52 fixed the SDII issue. Whatever the issue is, that ain't it.

Contact me back channel. If all you need to do is recover the audio, I should be able to help. If we're really lucky. I may be able to help resurrect the file.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mikehalloran wrote:DP 9.52 fixed the SDII issue. Whatever the issue is, that ain't it.
Interesting. How do you mean they fixed it, Mike? I mean, I know DP doesn't use SD2 on Macs anymore, but did they fix how old projects open after DP9.52?
mikehalloran wrote:Contact me back channel. If all you need to do is recover the audio, I should be able to help. If we're really lucky. I may be able to help resurrect the file.
This is extremely kind of you. Thank you very much for the offer. I welcome the help. I will contact you for sure. Thanks!!!!
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Now I'm even more confused, but a little more hopeful. DP just opened a project that has all SD2 files. It's a project that was done in 2007 but revised in 2017. That's why I tried it.

Is this one opening because it was saved with a more recent version of DP (like Mike said, 9.52 and after), and the other projects don't open because they were saved with a version of DP older that 9.52?
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan, I've gotten the same error messages from old projects with SDII files. So far, I've been able to open most of them with DP9.02 (not 9.52) in the same computer, or with DP8 in another computer.

Once it opens and converts the audio files to wav format, then I save it as DP8 or DP9.02, and then it opens fine in 9.52.

BTW, what happens if you just drag a bunch of SDII files straight into the TO window? If time stamps are preserved, as they should, at least you could have access to your projects this way if the above fails (even if you lose the mix).
A few weeks ago I was able to rescue ancient PT projects with SDII files like this... just dragged them into the TO, and DP took care of everything automatically. Not ideal (you lose the mix), but at least all your audios are there in the timeline, in a newer format, for you to remix (you will revisit your old projects anyway. Each Take will take one track, BTW).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Thanks so much, FM. All helpful suggestions. I appreciate it.

I can't drag the files in, they get rejected. I think the resource forks for these SD2 files got so corrupted going to and from the cloud that they'll never work.

I wanted to try an earlier version of DP, but the earliest version I have installed is 9.52. I thought I could download an earlier version from MOTU but I haven't found a way to do that yet. I do have a Tech Link open with them and they have tried to be helpful.

Thanks again!
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have files from the project and they are not behaving for me. I haven't run out of things to try yet.

DP 9.02 can still be downloaded, BTW but they've made it a bit convoluted to find. That isn't gonna do it, unfortunately.

The problem is with the resource forks. Usually, I can extract the raw audio from anything but this is being difficult. Not throwing in the towel, however. I won't be able to fire up my G4 till this weekend.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Right on, Mike. Thanks so much! Whether it's successful or not, I very much appreciate your help and effort.
mikehalloran wrote:I have files from the project and they are not behaving for me. I haven't run out of things to try yet.

DP 9.02 can still be downloaded, BTW but they've made it a bit convoluted to find. That isn't gonna do it, unfortunately.

The problem is with the resource forks. Usually, I can extract the raw audio from anything but this is being difficult. Not throwing in the towel, however. I won't be able to fire up my G4 till this weekend.
DP10.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Dan Worley wrote:Right on, Mike. Thanks so much! Whether it's successful or not, I very much appreciate your help and effort.
mikehalloran wrote:I have files from the project and they are not behaving for me. I haven't run out of things to try yet.

+1 :smash: