A Beatles Virtual Instrument

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: A Beatles Virtual Instrument

Post by bayswater »

Frodo wrote:

You guys are killing me. Halloran's link almost had me in tears.

Okay. Okay. I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm clicking through. Wish me luck.
I'll back off for now. I was going to tell you about the 4001 replica I made, but we'll leave that for another day.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

bayswater wrote:
Frodo wrote:

You guys are killing me. Halloran's link almost had me in tears.

Okay. Okay. I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm clicking through. Wish me luck.
I'll back off for now. I was going to tell you about the 4001 replica I made, but we'll leave that for another day.
No, no. Please, oh please????!!!

Huff, puff, huff, puff.

Wow-- this is just awful. I'm so lost on guitars for being a career pianist. :shock:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
zed

Post by zed »

For only $19,500 Canadian, with shipping included, this one-of-a-kind guitar is available on Etsy...

Pretty groovy!
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

zed

Post by zed »

And did you notice that the only Beatle whose signature is not on the guitar is sort of encapsulated in the cool design?

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I noticed the logo but wasn't aware of the connection with the Lennon photo until now. What a curious juxtaposition. I was just knocked out by the asking price.

So, I'm hoping that this Waves Abbey Road bundle of plugins earns its keep. I like the plugins a lot but haven't used them as a bundle rather than one or two at a time as needed.

Anyone else here using them?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Wow-- this is just awful. I'm so lost on guitars for being a career pianist. :shock:
I didn’t go to NAMM this year but when I do, I always ask the gal at the Blüthner display why they don’t have a big poster of Paul playing one on Let it Be.

I don’t have a Beatles piano. I suppose that bringing up The Rolling Stones would go way off topic.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zed

Post by zed »

mikehalloran wrote:I don’t have a Beatles piano. I suppose that bringing up The Rolling Stones would go way off topic.
Well I wouldn't mind hearing how the Rolling Stones relate to your train of thought in regards to a Beatles piano...
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

mikehalloran wrote:I didn’t go to NAMM this year but when I do, I always ask the gal at the Blüthner display why they don’t have a big poster of Paul playing one on Let it Be.

I don’t have a Beatles piano. I suppose that bringing up The Rolling Stones would go way off topic.

Not really since the thread started out about a Beatles VI that was never really updated in all these years. I would say the idea was to "get back" to the 60s rock sound and to find different ways of doing it, short of investing in expensive instruments and vintage gear. That's not always practical at 3 AM when you get an idea and want to lay something down quickly.

Just FYI, Vienna Symphonic Library has a new Bluthner that sounds fantastic. I don't know if you've checked it out, but it's worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfHZBW90YYM
zed

Post by zed »

Frodo wrote:Just FYI, Vienna Symphonic Library has a new Bluthner that sounds fantastic. I don't know if you've checked it out, but it's worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfHZBW90YYM
That one is at the top of my piano wish list... but it's pretty expensive. I can't afford it right now, but I definitely want it.

Here is Let It Be played on this VI: https://youtu.be/DqPfZ-AdL8s?t=47

Other great audio demos here: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Piano ... 895#!Demos

The Chopin is my favorite of these ones. Great stuff
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Yeah--- it's a fascinating VI. I'm a big classical music fan. The Chopin demo used close mics, but I have minor issues with the MIDI performance in that it really could have been more "connected", more legato for the likes of Chopin. Maybe the use of pedal to better marry the left hand bass notes with its mid-range harmonies would bring greater richness.

Zed-- you and I communicate often via email. Maybe I will make a track of the Chopin to better explain what I mean. It might be with a lesser VI, but I hope it would demonstrate the carriage of the harmony to support the melody more fully. I'll get back to you in short order.

But I love the sound of that 1895 piano and think it could work in a wide variety of situations.

The sound of a piano is highly personal, though, and no single piano VI "does it all". Yet, this VI captures things that other piano VIs don't. I'm still thrilled by Piano In Blue as well as Ivory. Those are old standbys. I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better.

But so much is hinges on what one's musical requirements are. A grand piano is a grand piano, but which one fits best into your film score or your rock track or your "Mr. Holland's Opus" or your "Let It Be" is as specific as one's culinary tastes.
zed

Post by zed »

Frodo wrote:Zed-- you and I communicate often via email. Maybe I will make a track of the Chopin to better explain what I mean. It might be with a lesser VI, but I hope it would demonstrate the carriage of the harmony to support the melody more fully. I'll get back to you in short order.
Cool, thanks!

And for anyone who listened to that Let it Be link above, and didn't continue listening, you missed out on a bit of The Long and Winding Road further on in the video...

https://youtu.be/DqPfZ-AdL8s?t=298
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here is Let It Be played on this VI: https://youtu.be/DqPfZ-AdL8s?t=47
Damn!

My Rolling Stones reference is to the Bösendorfer 200 that Ian Stewart played when he toured with the Stones. Looked to be around the same era as mine with the octagonal legs. I can't find a pic of him playing it but it was painted white in the film they made around 1981. Neither do I know if it had 85 keys or 88 like mine.

This piano was found in the hotel in Switzerland where they were staying while filming Help! To my knowledge, The Beatles only played in it.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:This piano was found in the hotel in Switzerland where they were staying while filming Help! To my knowledge, The Beatles only played in it.
Isn't that JL playing both in and on á la Jerry Lee Lewis?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:]Isn't that JL playing both in and on á la Jerry Lee Lewis?
Yep but the song was Ticket to Ride, IIRC