Crash on Stem Bounce version 10.1 and 10.11

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Maxxy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Crash on Stem Bounce version 10.1 and 10.11

Post by Maxxy »

I tried an on-line bounce but still crashed...

it's only this one aspect that isn't working for me... otherwise all is good and the Multi-bounce feature is great....

Just a bit unpredictable for me at the moment

bayswater.... I sent you a file to see how it goes for you .. thank you
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I did an off line bounce for the hat and OHs. You had both routed to bus 9-10 so I chose that as the output in the Bounce dialog. It worked fine, and sound fine. The image shows your original two tracks and the bounced track imported.

The obvious difference between your setup and mine is the plugins. They appear to be UAD plugins, and I don't use UAD at all any more. I did not replace these with other plugins, just bounced with whatever plugins were available on my setup which is probably just the DP Trim plugin.

Let me know if there are other tests you'd like while I have the project file on the desktop.

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Thanks bayswater

Yes the Bus Output bounce works fine here too

But I am trying to get both the HH and OH tracks bounced separately... so you would end up with a mono HH track and a stereo OH track

That's where my problem is

It hasn't anything to do with plugs, as far as i can see,.... I've tried this without any plugs at all... (other than the Superior Drummer 3 Instrument track)

Could you try that?

Thank you
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maxxy wrote:Thanks bayswater

Yes the Bus Output bounce works fine here too

But I am trying to get both the HH and OH tracks bounced separately... so you would end up with a mono HH track and a stereo OH track

That's where my problem is

It hasn't anything to do with plugs, as far as i can see,.... I've tried this without any plugs at all... (other than the Superior Drummer 3 Instrument track)

Could you try that?

Thank you
WIll do.
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Am I missing something perhaps?

Bouncing the two tracks as Tracks …not in Outputs

Essentially freezing the two individual tracks.... I've tried both 'Same As Source' (which should place the mono HH track in its panned position), and 'Match Track Format' (should make a simple mono un-panned file) options ...

Thanks so much bayswater .... please see here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2qpj30o1fd88 ... 1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcplu2sqimg5m ... 5.png?dl=0
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

After various tests I think I might have this figured out...(at least in my setup)
I Duplicated all my audio from various sessions in the finder,
I then created a brand new session in 10.11 and dragged all the
files in.
I was able to bounce everything out as stems with zero crashes.
ANY Previous DP sessions just opened up in 10.11 crash EVERY time
when attempting a stem bounce.
If this is indeed the case, (and I'm proven correct) its solved.
It was an enormous hassle regardless.

Just thought you should know.

Stephen
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maxxy

I did a few more bounces and was able to repeat the crash.

Your project has a number of tracks grouped. So when I select the HH and OH for bouncing, some other tracks are selected too. Selecting the group in the Bounce dialog, the bounce worked and I got new audio files for each of the tracks in the group except for the OH track.

I tried a few different selections and settings but got more or less the same thing.

There must be at least one output selected in the bounce dialog before you can do any bounce, even if the box for outputs is not selected. (So the purpose of the Track and Output buttons in the dialog is not clear.) This means the bounces are coming from the output audio channels, not the track audio channels. So there is only one output for OH and HH because they are both routed to bus 9-10.

I also noticed you always get two bounce files, even with one track and one output selected. One has the name of the track and the other the output, but they are the same. Not clear what the point of this is either.

In your project, I changed the OH from bus 9-10 to bus 7-8 and suspended the Group to try getting two bounced files for the OH and HH, without all the other tracks. This bounce crashed. Tried a Mono bus for the HH, and it crashed again.

To make sure there is nothing else in the project that might be causing a problem, I exported the HH and OH audio files and looked at them in DSP-Q. They're fine.

So I started an empty project, imported these two files and tried a number of different bounces. Crashes occured consistently under two conditions:

1) whenever the output assignments of the tracks include more than one physical output on the audio converter. E.g. if I assign both tracks the main output on my audio interface, I can bounce either track or both at once. If one of the two tracks is assigned to the second physical output pair, bounces crash, even if only one track being bounced and it is not assigned to the second physical output pair.

2) with outputs assigned to busses, bounces consistently crashed if more than one track AND more than one output bus was selected in the bounce dialog.

So there are limited conditions where multi bounce will work, but for the most part this is not functioning properly, and it's pretty clear it wasn't tested beyond the simplest use cases. With that and the poorly thought out user interface, it's a mystery how this feature made it past initial user acceptance and into Beta testing, let alone into a release.

All my crash reports were sent to MOTU. Meanwhile, the fallback is freeze and the simpler bounce scenarios.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Welll

After creating a new session , reimporting
Multiple files/tracks with every plugin and
Output (or one output) enabled
Bouncing stems now appears to work every
Time..

Definitely a huge bug though ..
( which I’ve emailed to the
Support person I’ve been working with )

Stephen

bayswater wrote:Maxxy

I did a few more bounces and was able to repeat the crash.

Your project has a number of tracks grouped. So when I select the HH and OH for bouncing, some other tracks are selected too. Selecting the group in the Bounce dialog, the bounce worked and I got new audio files for each of the tracks in the group except for the OH track.

I tried a few different selections and settings but got more or less the same thing.

There must be at least one output selected in the bounce dialog before you can do any bounce, even if the box for outputs is not selected. (So the purpose of the Track and Output buttons in the dialog is not clear.) This means the bounces are coming from the output audio channels, not the track audio channels. So there is only one output for OH and HH because they are both routed to bus 9-10.

I also noticed you always get two bounce files, even with one track and one output selected. One has the name of the track and the other the output, but they are the same. Not clear what the point of this is either.

In your project, I changed the OH from bus 9-10 to bus 7-8 and suspended the Group to try getting two bounced files for the OH and HH, without all the other tracks. This bounce crashed. Tried a Mono bus for the HH, and it crashed again.

To make sure there is nothing else in the project that might be causing a problem, I exported the HH and OH audio files and looked at them in DSP-Q. They're fine.

So I started an empty project, imported these two files and tried a number of different bounces. Crashes occured consistently under two conditions:

1) whenever the output assignments of the tracks include more than one physical output on the audio converter. E.g. if I assign both tracks the main output on my audio interface, I can bounce either track or both at once. If one of the two tracks is assigned to the second physical output pair, bounces crash, even if only one track being bounced and it is not assigned to the second physical output pair.

2) with outputs assigned to busses, bounces consistently crashed if more than one track AND more than one output bus was selected in the bounce dialog.

So there are limited conditions where multi bounce will work, but for the most part this is not functioning properly, and it's pretty clear it wasn't tested beyond the simplest use cases. With that and the poorly thought out user interface, it's a mystery how this feature made it past initial user acceptance and into Beta testing, let alone into a release.

All my crash reports were sent to MOTU. Meanwhile, the fallback is freeze and the simpler bounce scenarios.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

sdfalk wrote:Welll

Time..

Stephen
Are you able to do bounces in conditions where I got crashes in my post? E.g. if you have multiple output busses assigned to different tracks, can you bounce a lot of tracks at once and get a separate output for each output bus. If you have multiple hardware outputs in the assignments does that work too?
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

It does..

But that still doesn't negate the problem
that any previous session that I reopen in 10.11
causes a crash
bayswater wrote:

Time..

Stephen
Are you able to do bounces in conditions where I got crashes in my post? E.g. if you have multiple output busses assigned to different tracks, can you bounce a lot of tracks at once and get a separate output for each output bus. If you have multiple hardware outputs in the assignments does that work too?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

sdfalk wrote:It does..

But that still doesn't negate the problem
that any previous session that I reopen in 10.11
causes a crash
bayswater wrote:

Time..

Stephen
I got these two problems consistently with a new session and newly imported audio files.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

I Love working in DP...
But god damn this kind of B.S is something
that should have been addressed in beta tests..
as I believed you mentioned
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

...and I just tried this again with random multiple outputs ..cause why not..and it instantly crashed..

Sheesh
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It gets better. I just stripped the project Maxxy sent me down to two short soundbites on two tracks, one mono, one stereo, with two ouput busses, and removed everything from Bundles etc that isn't absolutely necessary, and then, merged the soundbites and deleted all the unused stuff.

Now it works. I'll try building it back up and see where it falls off the cliff.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

You guys ok with me linking this to the support
Person I’m dealing with ?