Crash on Stem Bounce version 10.1 and 10.11

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Crash on Stem Bounce version 10.1 and 10.11

Post by sdfalk »

Hey everyone

Im running both a 2018 Macmini with 16gb of ram and a 2013m MacBook Pro with 16gb of ram.
In either case when bouncing stems I get a (easily repeatable) "Digital Performer has quit unexpectedly" error.
Ive uninstalled, reinstalled, tried a new user, disabled all third party plugins, removed all preferences
before reinstalling.
The latest update did manage to fix the crash when quantizing that I sent an email to support
about, and I can (finally) do a stereo bounce again.
So that's something.
Im just wondering if anyone else has run into this.

thanks
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Maxxy

Re: Crash on Stem Bounce version 10.1 and 10.11

Post by Maxxy »

Hi sdfalk

Yes I have been frustrated by bouncing stems and crashing ... always right at the end of the bounce

They were from sessions recorded in older versions of DP.... I tried a number of fixes...Load into new project... removing plug-ins etc etc

I ended up having imperfect success by not simultaneously bouncing 2 tracks with the same bus output eg. Snr Top and Snr Btm to Snare Aux... I found if I chose only one of the 2 tracks it wouldn't crash. I could bounce one track of any bussed tracks...at one time.... So I could bounce, say, Snr Top, Tom 1, Kik In etc in one pass and then repeat the bounce with the other track ie Snr Btm, Tom 2, Kik Out etc

I was bit confused about the terminology of the new bounce options....Outputs and Tracks... I think I get it now... but haven't tried it recently ...

I did experience problems like you ... I think it probably is a bit buggy ... I'll report back when I try it again... it's an awesome feature for sure

BTW My PT buddy is green over this ( : as well as Clips ... ( :

Cheers
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Thanks very much for the input.
Much appreciated, and glad its not just me..
Ill go over everything tonight.

S

sdfalk wrote:Hi sdfalk

Yes I have been frustrated by bouncing stems and crashing ... always right at the end of the bounce

They were from sessions recorded in older versions of DP.... I tried a number of fixes...Load into new project... removing plug-ins etc etc

I ended up having imperfect success by not simultaneously bouncing 2 tracks with the same bus output eg. Snr Top and Snr Btm to Snare Aux... I found if I chose only one of the 2 tracks it wouldn't crash. I could bounce one track of any bussed tracks...at one time.... So I could bounce, say, Snr Top, Tom 1, Kik In etc in one pass and then repeat the bounce with the other track ie Snr Btm, Tom 2, Kik Out etc

I was bit confused about the terminology of the new bounce options....Outputs and Tracks... I think I get it now... but haven't tried it recently ...

I did experience problems like you ... I think it probably is a bit buggy ... I'll report back when I try it again... it's an awesome feature for sure

BTW My PT buddy is green over this ( : as well as Clips ... ( :

Cheers
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I just tried this on both setups (see sig) one of which is almost identical to yours. It worked fine on both. I was able to drag the bounces back into the project and they looked and sounded right. I tried tracks, outputs, both, and a couple of auxes each with 3 tracks as inputs, and a VI.

The only difference between the systems was that on the Mini, it was so fast I never saw the progress bar.

One bug I did see on the Mini, when you click OK to do the bounce, a dialog comes up to select sample rate, file type etc. Each time I made a selection, the dialog box was refreshed but the right side of it was a blank grey pane. The panel got bigger with each selection until the dialog was unusable.

So I don't know what the differences would be between my Mini and yours. The only things I can can think of would be plugins and the audio interface, neither of which should matter.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

You Know what;

that's the one thing I didn't consider..the interface.
I'll look into that tonight.

thanks for that.

I quite miss posting here.
I always get relevant straightforward advice.

thanks again

Stephen
bayswater wrote:I just tried this on both setups (see sig) one of which is almost identical to yours. It worked fine on both. I was able to drag the bounces back into the project and they looked and sounded right. I tried tracks, outputs, both, and a couple of auxes each with 3 tracks as inputs, and a VI.

The only difference between the systems was that on the Mini, it was so fast I never saw the progress bar.

One bug I did see on the Mini, when you click OK to do the bounce, a dialog comes up to select sample rate, file type etc. Each time I made a selection, the dialog box was refreshed but the right side of it was a blank grey pane. The panel got bigger with each selection until the dialog was unusable.

So I don't know what the differences would be between my Mini and yours. The only things I can can think of would be plugins and the audio interface, neither of which should matter.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

sdfalk wrote:You Know what;

Ironic if that's it; I bought my interface from you.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

bayswater wrote:

LOL..
Well..Nobody's perfect..
I have a feeling that it isn't the interface.
I seem to recall having these crashes happen
on my laptop regardless of interface...
We shall seeeeeee
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Never did work..
boooo

sdfalk wrote:
bayswater wrote:

LOL..
Well..Nobody's perfect..
I have a feeling that it isn't the interface.
I seem to recall having these crashes happen
on my laptop regardless of interface...
We shall seeeeeee
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't remember -- did you try eliminating plugins, or look in the crash report for plugin names?
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I'm having offline bouncing issues with DP 10.11 (and 10.01) on my new Mac Pro. Online bouncing works fine. I don't get an error message, but DP just hangs during an offline bounce. The behavior got worse: first bounce was fine, then on subsequent bounces it would hang near completion, then other bounces started hanging in the middle and then at the start. I tried bouncing with a fresh install and no plugs scanned and the behavior repeated.

I got my rig up and running just before DP 10.11 came out. After I updated, again the first few bounces were ok and then DP started to hang, hanging earlier in the process each time.

I've been on the phone with MOTU but they didn't have a fix (actually didn't have a Mac with Catalina on it handy?) and they haven't gotten back to me.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Welcome to the bleeding edge Dinobass!

Glad you reached out to MOTU, and thanks for doing so. You might want to start a Tech Note there as well, just to be sure the issue is fully on MOTU's radar.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

HCMarkus wrote:Welcome to the bleeding edge Dinobass!

Glad you reached out to MOTU, and thanks for doing so. You might want to start a Tech Note there as well, just to be sure the issue is fully on MOTU's radar.
I’ve left a fairly in-depth tech note myself .
It started promisingly enough with numerous
Back and forth.
I’ve gone through everything that was requested
Of me, with no results.
Of late there have been no additional replies
Or potential ideas to at least a workaround
To this situation.
I’m hoping being busy with NAMM has slowed
This process up.
I really enjoy the flexibility of this daw.. always have.
I hope this issue can be resolved shortly.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

bayswater wrote:I don't remember -- did you try eliminating plugins, or look in the crash report for plugin names?
Yes ... I did pretty much everything else
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Hi

I have had many goes at this since I last posted

The stumbling point, and my task/test for now, is to be able to multi-bounce just OH and HH mics, both bussed (Bus 9-10) to Cymbal Bus , …. a simple Tracks multi-bounce… just 2 Tracks… But it always crashes DP ) :

Bizarrely, the files bounced into the Bounce folder from a crashed Multi-Bounce show insane file sizes… all but one are very small (some few bytes or kbytes) and one is always many gigabytes… sometimes 65 gig for a single mono 3 minute track!!

After about 3 attempts at doing this multi-bounce>crash cycle , eventually DP crashes the whole computer and requires a system Restart. I’ve tried removing Stretch, cold-booting, P-Ram zap, deleting all plugs, and switching to both MOTU Safe and All Disable plug sets (so seems unrelated to plug-ins), created a New User Account, …

I did also attempt to use the crash logs as suggested by bayswater….but working through this data is beyond my abilities. Normally unable to see the DP crash report I disabled DP’s crash reporter with Terminal command a la Hiro … https://hirohonshuku.com/en/music/daw/t ... mer-crash/ , and view the report myself… maybe suspect the QuickTime Export bundle in: Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>MOTU Audio Export> QuickTime Export …it is a really old file (Nov 2009)… unfortunately removing it had no result

So I’m stumped for now… the multi-bounce works almost perfectly for me… just getting stuck on bussed outputs as explained earlier

As you have done, I also started a Techlink and was promptly asked to provide a test file that demonstrates the problem. So I’m hoping to hear back sometime soon.

For a time I thought the Mac Mini might have something to do with it…as we were all on that machine…. but Dinobass is on a Mac Pro so ….???

Actually I haven’t tried online bouncing as a workaround… will try that… thanks

Hopefully it’ll get worked out soon enough….good luck at NAMM

Cheers all
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This is one of those frustrating bugs because it isn't happening consistently and it looks like MOTU hasn't been able to repeat this. I've done a few more bounces with some variations and they've all worked as expected.

If anyone is inclined to send me a project (zipped) that creates the error, I'll try it out and look for what's different from the projects I've used. Or I can post a nonsense test project I have and you can see if it works on your setup.