Unable to activate DP 10.11

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Unable to activate DP 10.11

Post by Tomas E »

Since the certificate of the earlier trial version of DP 10 had expired I waited for an update. Then I downloaded 10.1 and I had no problems what so ever with launching it. Apart from some issues within the app it worked just fine. Yesterday, a while after the trial period was over, I decided to buy it. But when I had filled in the Keycode and clicked the box "Allow MOTU to contact me..." it just quit. I tried once more by first checking the box and then fill in the other fields. When I clicked "Activate" DP quit once again. Even clicking the "Buy now" button makes it quit. The same goes for version 10.11 which I also installed since 10.1 behaved like this. I therefore uninstalled 10.1, no change.

When opening DP 9.52 with 10.11 installed the launching process was very slow, and after having opened and closed a project I was unable to exit the startup dialog. Nothing happened when clicking the X in the upper right corner. When I was about to go to the start menu to search for the Task Manager the pointer stopped just by the edge of the Activity Field. I was unable to reach any part of it, as if the screen ended where the Activity Field starts. I had to use Ctrl-Shift-Escape. The next steps was to uninstall DP 10.11 and restart. After that this issue was gone.

Come to think of it, I should try reinstalling 10.1 to see if this second issue comes back. It shouldn't, since I haven't had it before during the trial period. During that time there were no problems switching between the two versions 9.52 and 10.1, except for that the annoying keybinding conflict message appeared now and then.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Unable to activate DP 10.11

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm not on Windows but there's been multiple reports of a bug in the DP installer that forces Windows users to roll back their clock to some gawdawful time in the past to get the thing to authorize. An embarrassing issue in DP10 that MOTU are dropping the ball on. Hopefully this solution solves it.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66830
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Michael Canavan wrote:I'm not on Windows but there's been multiple reports of a bug in the DP installer that forces Windows users to roll back their clock to some gawdawful time in the past to get the thing to authorize. An embarrassing issue in DP10 that MOTU are dropping the ball on. Hopefully this solution solves it.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66830
Thanks!
I find it strange though that I didn't have any problems when installing 9.52 in the beginning of September. There are some strange behaviour but besides that DP 9.52 is okay. I was however unable to install the DP 10.0 trial version due to the expired certificate.

MOTU TechSupport said:
The certificate for the DP10 installer has expired on 9/30/2019.

We are working to fix this but in the meantime you can set the date and time on your PC to before 9/30/2019, run the DP10 installer, and then after the installer has finished, set the date and time back to the correct setting.
My reply was:
I'd rather wait for a new DP installer. Will there be some info on Twitter/Instagram about this?
Answer:
This is very fair. Yes, we will be sure to announce new updates via our social media channels.
I'm surprised that they have released a DP 10.11 Windows version with the same behavior. Since I had no problems installing and using the demo version of DP 10.1 I had no doubts about buying the update since the certificate issue clearly was taken care of. But that just seems to apply to the demo version.

MOTU TechSupport said:
Thanks for getting in touch about this, and sorry that you're running into this issue. I've got a couple of things to try to see if we can get this working:

-Instead of pressing the Activate button, press the Enter key on your keyboard
-If that doesn't do the trick, click the Start Demo button. If that allows you to get into DP, then close the program and try to authorize the full version by clicking the Activate button

Let me know if either of those help, or if you're still running into issues.
None of those tips helped so I guess they will get back with that "change of date solution". I think I'll wait for them to get back to me so I can get a specific date. I feel uncomfortable with just choosing some random 2018 date. Thanks however once again for the info on this subject! That ensures that it's not my computer that is misbehaving.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Okay, this is interesting! I scrolled down a little further in the other thread and found what to look for and where. The DP 9.52 certificate has the same dates as the DP 10. Namely valid through 2019-09-30. So if I hadn't installed 9.52 when I did I wouldn't have been able to do that. Lucky me I guess...
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

The certificate for DP 10.11 is valid through 2020-03-13, so setting the date back is not the solution.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

It's activated now. I tried using the shift key instead of the caps lock for capital letters, as well as NOT using the numeric keypad for numbers. I think that is what finally made it work.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Tomas E wrote:It's activated now. I tried using the shift key instead of the caps lock for capital letters, as well as NOT using the numeric keypad for numbers. I think that is what finally made it work.
For anyone else who finds this thread. Use dashes instead of minus signs from the key pad. Yes, really. Just for kicks, I tested that again when activating 10.11 — really?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro