Vengeance Avenger arpeggio and drumbeat issues with DP10

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rockman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Vengeance Avenger arpeggio and drumbeat issues with DP10

Post by Rockman »

Hi everyone,

I encountered a weird bug while testing the Avenger Demo in Digital Performer 10. All other instruments and plugins work okay. This is on a Windows 10 PC.

When I instantiate Avenger as a single instrument track it works fine. I use the mouse to click on the GUI keyboard and it plays all patches normally. However, when I instantiate the synth along with an armed MIDI track and play the MIDI controller both the arpeggios and drumbeats do not complete the cycle. They only play either the first note or the first beat or two of the bar, it depends on the selected patch. I sent an email to support and this is what they said:

"I am not sure what this problem may cause. I only can assume that the time-informations sent by DP are not correct. Or that our MIDI-OUT get feedback into Avenger (when ARP is playing the notes are sent to Avenger's MIDI OUT). Maybe you can filter those messages or at least check if you can deactivate Avenger's MIDI OUT in DP to see if that is the error."

Support confirmed that the demo does not restrict any features, only playback time and save functionality. Anybody else had this issue? Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Vengeance Avenger arpeggio and drumbeat issues with DP10

Post by cuttime »

On a Mac here, but just a thought...under Setup>Interapplication MIDI, make sure there is a DP Output published.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Rockman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Vengeance Avenger arpeggio and drumbeat issues with DP10

Post by Rockman »

Thanks for the tip, cuttime. I didn't find that option in the PC version. I did check the MIDI Monitor activity and confirmed the bug when an arpeggio plays and then suddenly stops. Looks like some weird MIDI data conflict going on between the host and the vst. There might me some intricate workaround, but I don't think it's worth the time. Other instruments can play arpeggio as expected, like Omnisphere, so this is quite frustrating.

My guess is that the developer neglected to test this software with DP and instead focused on other DAWs. It's a shame because Avenger is a very powerful and creative tool, but non-functional arpeggio and drumbeat features makes it quite useless in an EDM production or any other composition requiring modern electronica. Who knows, maybe a future update might fix this.

Peace.