DP 10 takes over system audio blocking other audio???

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
arsis
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP 10 takes over system audio blocking other audio???

Post by arsis »

DP 10 64bit
When I open DP all other audio stops working. How can I fix this?
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
Yes, I do everything using only my eyes. #ALSsucks
Even when I'm new school I'm old school.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10 takes over system audio blocking other audio???

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not much to go on but I’d start by checking sample rates. If DP is in 48k and others are in 44.1, the sound device/card may simply not be playing the lower rate. Are you using the built in output on the laptop or is there an audio interface involved?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
arsis

Post by arsis »

Yes, I'm using the built-in speakers for writing on the go. I also use a Fiio K3 USB headphone amp. Both have the same problem. If I want to watch a YouTube video for example, YouTube gets an error and won't even play. If I quit DP then it works fine.
Sample rates are 44.1
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I recall a setup parameter on the Mac that specifies whether the audio path remains in force when DP is running in the background, so you can switch to another app, and continue to monitor what DP is doing, or if it releases audio to other applications when DP is not in front.

I can't recall where this option was set, but it was probably related to the audio setup options. No doubt Windows has a similar option.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:I recall a setup parameter on the Mac that specifies whether the audio path remains in force when DP is running in the background
Are you referring to Setup>Control Surface Setup>Listen to Control Surface in Background?

It might work. Not sure.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:
bayswater wrote:I recall a setup parameter on the Mac that specifies whether the audio path remains in force when DP is running in the background
Are you referring to Setup>Control Surface Setup>Listen to Control Surface in Background?

It might work. Not sure.
No, I recall something like an option to release audio when DP is in background, or something to that effect. I looked around the usual places, but couldn't find where I saw that. Maybe it was related to MOTU audio devices (I don't have one connected any more).

There was something about not allowing system generated audio to pass through your converter as well. That might be related. (It was so you didn't get blown out of your seat by the OS X BONG when you restarted the Mac, which we used to do a lot as I recall) Maybe there is a Windows equivalent.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
arsis

Post by arsis »

Thanks for the input. Whatever the problem, installing the update fixed it!