Don't be this guy (a cautionary tale)

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Don't be this guy (a cautionary tale)

Post by mikehalloran »

Sometimes, aggressive ignorance can be entertaining.

https://illusionofmore.com/dont-start-c ... nderstand/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Don't be this guy (a cautionary tale)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Note on the article: © 2020, David Newhoff. All rights reserved. :headbang:

I have zero tolerance for infringers and have made enough for a couple of nice cars (at least) from pursuing infringers. But you MUST have a knowledgable and experienced attorney handle the entire thing and a good, honest lawyer will tell you if you have a case or or not. He'll also tell you, as a defendant, when you must fold. Fortunately, I've never been a defendant and have never folded as a plaintiff. ;)

There is one caveat to add, however. Unless I'm mistaken, there is language in the statute that if you are aware of an infringement and don't pursue it, you are essentially abandoning the property. That certainly doesn't apply in the sited article (am I misinformed.

Pursuit also becomes more of an issue when you're dealing with infringements overseas, where the costs can be prohibitive and the return not worth the effort. All that said, recordings of performers, as well as recordings lifted from CDs or DVDs, etc., are much easier to pursue than an "it sounds like music I wrote" kind of action.

I'm glad they nailed this guy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS