DP 10.1 out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10.1 out

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:
dix wrote:
bayswater wrote:They broke in 10.01 and should have been fixed in 10.1. Not clear from your sig which you are referring to
Yes. Shift-constrain dragging between tracks in the SE is still broken in DP 10.1.
Nutz
Dragging MIDI between tracks in Tracks Window works fine, including duplicate (option key) or move, time-constrained or not (command key).
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

Dragging MIDI between tracks in Tracks Window works fine, including duplicate (option key) or move, time-constrained or not (command key).[/quote]

But it doesn't work in the sequence window, where I do 90% of MIDI editing. These DP inconsistencies drive me crazy. They seem so arbitrary. And now throughout several versions, the sequence window always gets the ax first.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

KenNickels wrote:***
Dragging MIDI between tracks in Tracks Window works fine, including duplicate (option key) or move, time-constrained or not (command key).

But it doesn't work in the sequence window, where I do 90% of MIDI editing. These DP inconsistencies drive me crazy. They seem so arbitrary. And now throughout several versions, the sequence window always gets the ax first.[/quote]
Yeah, I hope a couple inconsistencies get cleared up, with the new Clips being the way to loop, there doesn't seem to be any way to loop clips from the Tracks window, it works in the Sequence Editor.

So in order to drag MIDI between tracks you have to jump to the Tracks window, and in order to loop MIDI it's off to the Sequence or Clips windows... :smash:

I'm fairly certain some of this will go away in updates and upgrades, but yeah.

I will add that there's a lot to love in 10.1 as well, already there's no way I'm going back, and it will keep me in DP for the most part instead of jumping over to Live or other DAWs. :koolaid:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

I'm fairly certain some of this will go away in updates and upgrades...
I'm not as confident that dragging between tracks will get fixed, so I've eliminated it from my workflow, using Split Notes a lot more than I used to, and/or simply cutting and pasting.

Like you, I'm not organized around the Tracks window, but since that is clearly the preferred way of working for most users, it gets more love than the SE. The ability to move tracks in the SE like you can in the Tracks and Chunks window would be great, but I'm not counting on that either.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't work much in the sequence editor (different strokes) but i can see how that can be a royal PITA for those who do. Why would that be removed? Strange...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote:
I'm fairly certain some of this will go away in updates and upgrades...
I'm not as confident that dragging between tracks will get fixed, so I've eliminated it from my workflow, using Split Notes a lot more than I used to, and/or simply cutting and pasting.

Like you, I'm not organized around the Tracks window, but since that is clearly the preferred way of working for most users, it gets more love than the SE. The ability to move tracks in the SE like you can in the Tracks and Chunks window would be great, but I'm not counting on that either.
I actually do work a lot in the Tracks window. Mostly I edit audio at the end of a project and stay in MIDI until the bitter end in case I want to change things out. The new tools for containing MIDI to be visible in the Sequence Editor is going to make that window more useful to me for sure.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't work much in the sequence editor (different strokes) but i can see how that can be a royal PITA for those who do. Why would that be removed? Strange...
Starting with v9, MOTU removed right mouse click editing(velocity, quantization, etc) from the Sequence window. Why? I use it all the time! MOTU's techs could not agree on whether it was supposed to be removed or not, all the while promising that it was on a to-do list to put it back. Never happened, though I've complained often. I wondered why no one else here complained. Then I thought maybe they use the MIDI window for that (hard as that is for me to believe).

But this "trend" of arbitrarily removing functionality is annoying. Another thing they do is go too far in the wrong direction when "solving a problem." Like CC lanes. They are nice for uncluttering a track, but I don't care about clutter (well, I do, but I live with it, because I need the CC's right on the notes to edit). In v10 they've made the CC's in the track damn near invisible! I don't understand why they do these kinds of things.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have to admit I do very little MIDI editing these days. If I can't play the stuff right the first time after 50 years, I'm in the wrong business. Frankly, given your situation, I'd select the data, hit copy, select the next track, and hit paste. I guess I'm old school. lol I totally get the whole MIDI thing but the longer I score, the more important actual takes are, rather than "corrected" takes. I like precision, but only to a point. Too precise and you loose "character" IMO, butt eye digress.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have to admit I do very little MIDI editing these days. If I can't play the stuff right the first time after 50 years, I'm in the wrong business. Frankly, given your situation, I'd select the data, hit copy, select the next track, and hit paste. I guess I'm old school. lol I totally get the whole MIDI thing but the longer I score, the more important actual takes are, rather than "corrected" takes. I like precision, but only to a point. Too precise and you loose "character" IMO, butt eye digress.
It's a difference of 2 steps vs. 4. And the additional 2 steps are complex in comparison. Trivial you might say, but it adds up very quickly.

Feel is very important, of course. But I do mostly orchestral stuff and just free wheeling it will only take me longer and get me sloppy results. Not good. However, I've had good luck with tap tempo because it's so easy to put the feel back in after the fact by adjusting the conductor track visually. It's so easy! If people don't know about this feature they should!
bdr

Post by bdr »

Not at my computer today, but would it help if you had the grid snap setting on its highest value? Could help to constrain sideways movement when dragging notes between tracks in the SE. (I agree that the old behaviour would be the ideal solution!)

Michael Canavan wrote:
KenNickels wrote:***

But it doesn't work in the sequence window, where I do 90% of MIDI editing. These DP inconsistencies drive me crazy. They seem so arbitrary. And now throughout several versions, the sequence window always gets the ax first.
Yeah, I hope a couple inconsistencies get cleared up, with the new Clips being the way to loop, there doesn't seem to be any way to loop clips from the Tracks window, it works in the Sequence Editor.

So in order to drag MIDI between tracks you have to jump to the Tracks window, and in order to loop MIDI it's off to the Sequence or Clips windows... :smash:

I'm fairly certain some of this will go away in updates and upgrades, but yeah.

I will add that there's a lot to love in 10.1 as well, already there's no way I'm going back, and it will keep me in DP for the most part instead of jumping over to Live or other DAWs. :koolaid:[/quote]
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

On Saturday, I was ready to throw DP10.1 in the trash. Running a tracking session with a singer/songwriter and encountered crashes at a variety of points, lack of ability to pitch edit, quantization weirdness. Yuck. So I ran my session yesterday with DP9.52. Perfect.

With no client in studio today, I decided to try using the "Load" command to bring my fat ol' template into DP10.1 afresh. I did so, and everything seemed pretty fine. So I loaded the problem session from Saturday and worked on it for three hours doing everything I usually do without a crash. Drag and drop a file into an audio track (crashed every time on Saturday). Check. Pitch editing working properly. Check. Found the quantization issue arose from inadvertently turning on the "custom" setting (not found in DP9.52) on ALL my real-time quantization windows (drum stuff), with a custom setting that resulted in NO quantization. (I certainly didn't check that box in four separate tracks. Ah, the mysteries of life!) unchecking returned quantization standard "note on, don't change durations" behavior.

With this experience under my belt, I am encouraged. I suggest that those having issues with old projects may want to try the Load command to bring the project into DP10.1 (even if the project was previously saved as a DP10.1 project) and see if things are improved. This is potentially especially helpful if you run a fatty template and don't want to re-create it from scratch.

Good luck! I'll be hoping for the same. :smash:

Edit: One other thing...

I absolutely LOVE the fact DP doesn't need to re-load all VI samples when the buffer size is changed. Such a time saver! OTOH, it seems that DP now takes longer to prepare a VI for recording. When I record-enable a VI-connected MIDI track, the VI now takes an appreciable amount of time, dependent on how many samples it needs to load, to be ready to roll. It seems DP10.1 has implemented a new sample caching/pre-rendering scheme; it saves us time when switching buffer size, but will take that time back track by track as we build a project.

In my template, this is particularly noticeable in my various string section VIs. I have a number of different instantiations of Kontakt set up, each with a library's complete string section. When moving between MIDI tracks that are driving the same instance of Kontakt, there is no delay. When I move to a separate library, there is considerable delay before the VI becomes active while the samples from that library are being loaded.

SO, with the new buffer approach, MOTU giveth and MOTU taketh away.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Re: DP 10.11 and Altiverb Fail

Post by HCMarkus »

Just sent the following to MOTU and AudioEase:

With the update to DP10.1 and 10.11, Altiverb MAS stops passing reverb whenever the buffer size is changed in a project. Altiverb must be re-loaded to begin functioning again. Fortunately, if one replaces the current Altiverb instantiation with a new one, it starts working again and the preset that was loaded into the original instantiation is retained in the replacement instantiation.

I’m running DP10.11, Mojave 10.14.6, and the latest Altiverb (just reinstalled) on my Mac Pro 5,1 12 core.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

Edit: One other thing...

I absolutely LOVE the fact DP doesn't need to re-load all VI samples when the buffer size is changed. Such a time saver! OTOH, it seems that DP now takes longer to prepare a VI for recording. When I record-enable a VI-connected MIDI track, the VI now takes an appreciable amount of time, dependent on how many samples it needs to load, to be ready to roll. It seems DP10.1 has implemented a new sample caching/pre-rendering scheme; it saves us time when switching buffer size, but will take that time back track by track as we build a project.

But if you run your VI's in real time mode there is no delay, right?

I use Kontakt and EW Play and ever since MOTU came up with pre-Gen it has cause me nothing but trouble. I can ONLY work in real time mode. Same with 10.1
dix

Post by dix »

I can ONLY work in real time mode.
Did I miss a memo? Is there a way to run plugins without pre-gen in DP now, or are you initiating realtime mode another way...by leaving the VI open or bussing?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

dix wrote:
I can ONLY work in real time mode.
Did I miss a memo? Is there a way to run plugins without pre-gen in DP now, or are you initiating realtime mode another way...by leaving the VI open or bussing?
Yes, I have to leave the VI's open on the desktop (edit mode). And if I close them I get an unstable system with dropouts. I also have to set the VI's to run in real time mode from the mini menu, regardless if the window is open or not. My setup is simple. Direct outs from the VI's to inputs on audio tracks.