Sync help in DP 10.1

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
bryla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sync help in DP 10.1

Post by bryla »

I'm new to DP and hope that someone can help me figure this out.

I've imported a video where the first bar of music starts at 1:00:31:04. I've so far figured out how to have it so the DP shows bar 1 to be this time code. When I right click the movie to Import Movie Audio the files come with a nearly 2 second delay. Before importing they played back perfectly through the internal routing.

How can I import them properly so that when I've positioned my first bar they will be cropped to the right place?

Next thing: When first beat of music lines up with the first bar I want to insert a count-in. Through the Conductor Track in the Project menu I Insert Measures. However this makes the previous bar number 1 the new bar number 2. How can I rename the count-in to bar 0 or even -1?

This screenshot showcases the problems: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ausqtqqxxthfw ... 1.png?dl=0

Thanks in advance!
Thomas
dix

Re: Sync help in DP 10.1

Post by dix »

Issues and solutions for things like this are sometimes difficult to articulate. They are for me anyway....

There's only one way to import movies into DP, which you have done. First, if you've confirmed the audio you imported is in sync with the movie, choose Set User Timestamp from the Audio menu. Then change the Chunk start time (from the mini menu in the Chunks window) to make it sooner. After you do that you'll need to select the imported movie audio and choose Sync to User Timestamp from the audio menu. That will put the imported audio back in sync with the movie, and also move bar positions in relation to the movie (and the movie audio). Unless the BPM is easily time divisible (120bpm etc) this will take some trial and error.

I'm fairly certain there are easier ways to approach this, but that's what occurred to me. I hope this helps, or at least doesn't confuse you further.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bryla

Post by bryla »

Thanks for the reply, dix!
dix wrote:First, if you've confirmed the audio you imported is in sync with the movie, choose Set User Timestamp from the Audio menu.
I don't understand this. After importing movie audio the audio is not in sync with the movie any more. It's close to 2 seconds late. As you can see in my previous screenshot the region starts at the same time though.

In my current state Audio > Set User Timestamp is greyed out. How am I supposed to use this function? I can't find any information on it in the reference guide.
dix

Post by dix »

If you changed the movie start time the imported audio will be out of sync. You could reimport after you change the start time, or re-sync the imported movie's audio manually. If imported audio is out of sync upon Import, without having changed the movie start time or Chunk start time, then this is above my pay grade, and likely a tech support issue. My experience is that imported audio always shows up in sync with the movie upon import.

A soundbite needs to be selected before you choose Set or Move to User Timestamp. It will be greyed if nothing is selected.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com