Mackie HR824 monitor damage

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
thirdbear
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mackie HR824 monitor damage

Post by thirdbear »

Hey everyone

I have Mackie HR824 monitors and a 2.5 year old son at home. This morning, he pushed in the small domes in the center of the bottom cones on the speakers. Does anyone know:

1. what effect this would have on the sound?
2. is it possible to "repair" this by getting inside the monitor and pushing the domes back out?

Thanks for any help

Jeff
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Speaker costs about 250 to replace. My Babies did the same thing :)

Didnt mess up my sound though.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
oldguitars

Post by oldguitars »

They are really just dust covers and shouldn't mess with the sound really, unless you have dog hearing. I fixed the same problem once with a guitar string that i bent in the shape of a hook. It was a .16 (g string on a set of tens). I punctured a tiny tiny hole in the middle, bent the string, put it in and pulled the dent out. It worked like a charm, and saved a bunch of cash. hope this helps
3GHz 8 core, 6GB ram, DP 5.13, OSX.4.11, PTLE 7.4.2, Rosetta 200 digi003, waves platinum, mach five, distressors, ADL 1000, API, Calrec, UA mic pres, neumann, AT, shure, Sennheiser and rode mics...old guitars and drums...nord rack 2, s90, micro korg...yaddda yadda.
http://myspace.com/monkeydenrecording
qo

Post by qo »

I can tell if people I don't know that well (say at a party with common friends) have kids by looking at their speaker cones 8). I look at them, then their poked in cones, then at them and say "Kids, huh?" LOL.

Hey, I poked my parent's cones in when I was a kid. It's just irresistible for someone under 10 years old :-)