New mix automation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dpg4macman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New mix automation

Post by dpg4macman »

Hello DP users,
I’ve been working on a mix. I have plugins on every track plus hours spent tweaking automation on all the tracks. (You get the picture) Now, I want to try a different mix using another approach and different plugins. I duplicate my mix and select “new mix” from the bottom of the mixer window. It clears all of the plugins from the mixer but after doing so I find all my hard work on automation has suddenly disappeared. My question to you is - is there anyway to save the automation when you select a new mix?

Thanks for the help,
mvh
Phil O

Re: New mix automation

Post by Phil O »

If there is a way, I haven't found it yet. What I do in that situation is go to the view filter and hide soundbites. Then in the Sequence Editor (in my first mix) select all and copy. This copies all the automation. Then switch to my new mix and paste. Kind of clumsy but it works. If you have automation on plugins or MIDI tracks, I don't know if things will go FUBAR, but there's probably a work-around for that as well - probably more view filter finesse.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Thanks Phil, Now I have something to work with. Appreciate the response.

mvh
fdco

Post by fdco »

What I do is duplicate the sequence, this way i can do a new mix and move things around if needed

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Mac Book Pro M1 32gb -2TB,
Apogee Symphony Thunderbridge,
DP11, MTPAV, Linnstrument, Chapman Stick
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Thanks fdco, I’ve been thinking about it and I suppose after duplicating the mix I could just go to every channel and delete all the plugins one track at a time. A little cumbersome but should do what I’m looking for.
Thanks for the advice.

mvh