MOTU to drop DP update soon!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU to drop DP update soon!

Post by toodamnhip »

My issue with subscription based models is long term Masters WILL fail to work years later. I have recently resuscitated 5 Macs to get to older Masters for a new publishing deal. It was hell. The end conclusion of it all was the need to be able to FEEEZE a computer in time, WHILE IT IS WORKING. Now from here, I could go into all sorts of technical minutiae...but I won't. Suffice it to say, ALL of the new authorizers- software based, etc, are crap for long term Masters WORKING. Most of the issues revolving around my old computers failing to authorize, are due to authorization websites that used to work... now being GONE! DEAD links. Companies change servers after 5-6 yrs etc. The ONLY way for Masters to be stable in a given computer, is for the user to have COMPLETE control over his authorizations. Who here trusts Slate, or any company, to keep their authorization protocols and servers running in 10 yrs? I don't. So I am sharing real world experience here. Real world failure to be able to give big budget companies access to older computer Masters. This is the issue with pay to play, Big brother authorizers having to bless one's computer every year for it to just work! Now...I make tons of stems no matter what since I have been burned so bad. Unfortunately, many older projects, at the time they were made, did not have budgets allocated for such "post production "safety" work. And thus, Masters don't work. These subscription based authorizations will undoubtedly be a nightmare in 5 years when opening older files. You'll see. Sigh.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toodamnhip wrote:My issue with subscription based models is long term Masters WILL fail to work years later. I have recently resuscitated 5 Macs to get to older Masters for a new publishing deal. It was hell. The end conclusion of it all was the need to be able to FEEEZE a computer in time, WHILE IT IS WORKING. Now from here, I could go into all sorts of technical minutiae...but I won't. Suffice it to say, ALL of the new authorizers- software based, etc, are crap for long term Masters WORKING. Most of the issues revolving around my old computers failing to authorize, are due to authorization websites that used to work... now being GONE! DEAD links. Companies change servers after 5-6 yrs etc. The ONLY way for Masters to be stable in a given computer, is for the user to have COMPLETE control over his authorizations. Who here trusts Slate, or any company, to keep their authorization protocols and servers running in 10 yrs? I don't. So I am sharing real world experience here. Real world failure to be able to give big budget companies access to older computer Masters. This is the issue with pay to play, Big brother authorizers having to bless one's computer every year for it to just work! Now...I make tons of stems no matter what since I have been burned so bad. Unfortunately, many older projects, at the time they were made, did not have budgets allocated for such "post production "safety" work. And thus, Masters don't work. These subscription based authorizations will undoubtedly be a nightmare in 5 years when opening older files. You'll see. Sigh.
Sure, I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating myself here, but the model that works is Bitwigs, it's more a like an update subscription, you never lose use of whatever 3.xx version of the software you're at after it 'runs out', it's just a way to preemptively pay for the next 365 days of updates. You can skip any amount of time you want to, and it's always $150 to update to the latest with 365 days of updates.
Every other method of subscription I've seen is bunk though.

I don't think at all MOTU will go to that model, but being this long without aftertouch I ponder it, since in theory it would encourage frequent routine updates, that's all.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

toodamnhip wrote:... The end conclusion of it all was the need to be able to FEEEZE a computer in time, WHILE IT IS WORKING. ...The ONLY way for Masters to be stable in a given computer, is for the user to have COMPLETE control over his authorizations.
Subscription discussion aside, I strongly agree with your point regarding freezing a computer in time.
At the height of my mastery of OS9, :rofl: I made a disc of that setup. It was saved to CD and put in a box with the assumption it would fade away. Then a few years ago, I decided I needed another functioning dual-boot OS9/OSX setup. The OS9 came back to life from that disc image.

My MacPro 1,1 has volumes with 10.4.11, 10.5, 10.6.8, and 10.9x,

At this point, I'm seriously considering the 2018 Mac Mini, which has me considering which version of OSX to roll back to for the 2012 Mini. I have Yosemite and other disc images ready to be opened on external drives that will work with it as well.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
wesdrums

Post by wesdrums »

Anytime now would be great MOTU. DP10 crashes like it's Windows 95 for me, particularly when using a rewire device. I would love to see some bug fixes to, I get some weird errors transposing audio when there is a fade or crossfade using Pitch & Stretch.
DP10 | Mac OS 10.13.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 64 GB | AMD FirePro D700
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Don't hold your breath. I know people like to be "the first" to say "update is here" or in this case "it's almost here, but it remains speculation and hyperbole until it actually happens. Accuse me of derailing if that floats your toy boat, but this is just another rabbit hole someone has decided to create. Having fun yet?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Don't hold your breath. I know people like to be "the first" to say "update is here" or in this case "it's almost here, but it remains speculation and hyperbole until it actually happens. Accuse me of derailing if that floats your toy boat, but this is just another rabbit hole someone has decided to create. Having fun yet?
OK Mr. fun and games annihilator! I get it, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, but to me it's still a game, find that eye! :twisted:

Prime Mover let us know that people at MOTU believe they are close to being done with the update.
No hyperbole in that, saying or giving a date? yeah total hyperbole. But I think it's fair to say it's going to be done in the next couple months.

So let's do this! :lol: You seem to believe that Prime Movers anecdotal evidence is completely useless, I do not. I would bet that the update drops before or on NAMM, at the very very least it's announced at NAMM and drops within a few weeks. So money bets are dumb, even dumber how about pride? You're so convinced that there's zero validity to Prime Movers 'evidence' that this should be easy. If MOTU do not announce or drop an update in the time that I mentioned above I will make a thread called "I am a Poopyhead" in off topic, if it does drop you do the same. Just to clarify you make a thread called "I am a Poopyhead" not 'do the same' by making a thread saying Michael is a Poopyhead".
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

It's spelled P-o-p-p-y not P-o-o-p-y.

Hey, I like to kill time here as much as the next guy/girl/other. lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
lydian91

Post by lydian91 »

I'm guessing any day now. The product pages for the new M2 and M4 interfaces show DP sporting some UI enhancements. Maybe that's Performer Lite, though?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3
MIDI Life Crisis

And then there's this...

https://www.instagram.com/motutech/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

lydian91 wrote:I'm guessing any day now. The product pages for the new M2 and M4 interfaces show DP sporting some UI enhancements. Maybe that's Performer Lite, though?
Yeah, what the heck is this? Is this the latest incarnation of AudioDesk?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

cuttime wrote:
lydian91 wrote:I'm guessing any day now. The product pages for the new M2 and M4 interfaces show DP sporting some UI enhancements. Maybe that's Performer Lite, though?
It's a reasonable explanation as to why the update hasn't come out yet. It also points to them now moving on to DP not so Lite.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:
cuttime wrote:
It's a reasonable explanation as to why the update hasn't come out yet. It also points to them now moving on to DP not so Lite.
Yes, what the heck? What is Performer Lite, and why is Live Lite bundled with a MOTU interface?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote: Yes, what the heck? What is Performer Lite, and why is Live Lite bundled with a MOTU interface?
I'm betting Performer Lite is a limited track version of DP like Live, Bitwig, Cubase do with their DAWs. Looking at their website it doesn't seem to be out yet, which is another indication that a DP update is around the corner.

Live Lite is bundled with every interface known to man! :lol: The good part about it for someone like me is it points to a possibility that Ableton and MOTU are working on some way of sharing Clips, so porting tracks between the two could become easy. This is true of Akai's new Force Hardware that has the ability to port to Ableton Live anyway.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote:Live Lite is bundled with every interface known to man! :lol: The good part about it for someone like me is it points to a possibility that Ableton and MOTU are working on some way of sharing Clips, so porting tracks between the two could become easy. This is true of Akai's new Force Hardware that has the ability to port to Ableton Live anyway.
Well, if it comes as a subscription model I'm out.

:lol:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Live Lite is bundled with every interface known to man! :lol:
Do Avid, Presonus and Steinberg bundle it with their hardware interfaces? Do any interface manufacturers who also set DAWs bundle live with the interface?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8