DP10 and control surface with jog wheel/shuttle

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
RevBob23
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP10 and control surface with jog wheel/shuttle

Post by RevBob23 »

Hey there, I'm very new to DP10 but I've been doing sound for video for a while. I thought I'd ask this group specifically on what they use for a control surface cause of my specific needs.

I do sound fx as well as score and voice over, and use a jog wheel/shuttle a lot when synding to video and I am in the market for a new control surface.
What do you recommend as a control surface that meets the needs of an audio set up (motorized faders and physical controls for channel parameters), but has tight integration of a jog wheel to scrub to a frame as well as one touch short cut controls in DP10?

My studio has been closed a while for health reasons, but I am using a new PC Win 10 64 along with a Motu 828 and 8Pre and trying to get up and running fast without completely changing my work flow.
Thanks
Small project studio supporting indie video and video games
Vision DAW PC Win10 64Pro, 32 gb RAM
Motu: DP 10, 8Pre, 828 Hybrid mkiii
NI : Kompete 12 Ultimate, S-88, Maschine Mk3
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP10 and control surface with jog wheel/shuttle

Post by HCMarkus »

I use a Contour Shuttle Express... not integrated into a fader box, but it works well and the software is still supported as of Mojave (but I'm not sure if it is 64 bit). Jog/Shuttle and multiple buttons, all assignable to DP key commands as the user sees fit.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote: Jog/Shuttle and multiple buttons, all assignable to DP key commands as the user sees fit.
I see you are on DP 9.52. I was looking for these in 10.01 and couldn't find them. A major oversight, IMO ... kind of like lack of aftertouch playback. I think MOTU's got some 'splainin' to do.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

cuttime wrote:
HCMarkus wrote: Jog/Shuttle and multiple buttons, all assignable to DP key commands as the user sees fit.
I see you are on DP 9.52. I was looking for these in 10.01 and couldn't find them. A major oversight, IMO ... kind of like lack of aftertouch playback. I think MOTU's got some 'splainin' to do.
I just got a response from tech support about this. I was told that jog/shuttle was never available in the commands window. Not in DP 9 or 10. I'm seriously confused about this, as I could swear it was there before. Can anyone shed some light on this?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't use the jog/shuttle wheel to control jog/shuttle... I have assigned the wheels to zoom and other functions in DP. Sorry for any misunderstanding my earlier post may have caused, even though it appears to be technically accurate. The jog/shuttle wheel CAN be assigned to any DP Command.

There just needs to be a Command for the desired function!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks, HC. What further complicates matters is that I had a couple of iPad apps that had jog-shuttle wheels on them that worked in DP9, but don't in 10. I've yet to figure that one out.
RevBob23
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by RevBob23 »

I do NEED the jog/shuttle to work specifically for timeline and scrubbing to frame.

I tried to use a Mackie MCU Pro, but the jog wheel wouldn't work with DP10 and their tech support was unhelpful, to be polite.
Small project studio supporting indie video and video games
Vision DAW PC Win10 64Pro, 32 gb RAM
Motu: DP 10, 8Pre, 828 Hybrid mkiii
NI : Kompete 12 Ultimate, S-88, Maschine Mk3