AIR Music Plugins and DP10?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
neilinct
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

AIR Music Plugins and DP10?

Post by neilinct »

Anyone had success or failure with plugins from AIR Music Technology? Namely Loom II and Hybrid 3? I'm finding they both fail inspection/examination -- both VST and AU. If I manually Enable them, they work; no issues. If I quit DP10 and then re-launch, DP10 crashes upon startup. I re-launch DP10, and the plugins change to Failed status. They are successfully activated and licensed via iLok.
This is a bummer, for these inexpensive plugins have some great sounds that I'd like to use in sequences. It's also preventing me from making other AIR purchases. I'm wondering if it's just me...I think my Mac is relatively healthy.

Thanks,
Neil
my setup:
iMac i5 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 (mid-2001) (12,1)
16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mac OS 10.12.6 [Sierra]
Digital Performer 10
emagic MT4
Roland Fantom XR
Arturia Keylab Essential 49
BKK-OZ

Re: AIR Music Plugins and DP10?

Post by BKK-OZ »

I tried Hybrid, but it failed validation on my machine as well.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
yjoh
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by yjoh »

The Air plugins are working fine for me but I'm on a PC so maybe that makes a difference. I haven't had any validation problems. I installed the plugins, DP scanned for the VSTs on next start up and when I wanted to add a new instrument track they just showed up in the list. I have Expand, Hybrid, Vacuum Pro and Riser and they all load and work.

I searched and there was a thread about this problem last year.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59916&p=554388&hil ... ns#p554368

It might just be a problem with AU on Macs. That's about as much as I can help you with, except maybe contact Air support and see if they can help. All the best.

Yvonne
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Good Afternoon:

I am sorry you having issues with the AIR plug-ins, however, this is feeling a lot like déjà vu from DP 9.52. Please see an older post and my reply at the bottom here:
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=64182

As for DP 10.11 (Windows 10), I have all the AIR Instrument Expansion Pack 3 Complete plug-ins validated under Windows 10 and DP 10.11. I did have to reinstall iLok License Manager (latest version), reboot and then reexamine some.

As for DP 10.11 (macOS Mojave 10.14.6), all the AIR effects validate with no issues. For the instruments, I am getting VST and AU examination failures on a few:
Hybris 3 (3.0.7)
Transfuser
Transfuser FX
Velvet

I am going to assume that Strike and Xpand2! are failing too. I may be going out on a limb here, but it seems MOTU is using the identical VST infrastructure from DP 9.5x in DP 10.

As a workaround for Hybrid, Transfuser and Velvet, I downloaded Blue Cat's Patchwork (demo version) and utilizing Patchwork as a VST host the AIR VSTs are working in DP 10.11 under macOS Mojave 10.14.6. I have not done extensive testing nor do I know if there may be other complications using the BC's Patchwork.

Hope this is helpful.

Rich
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Loom II is working in VST2 OSX Mojave here. AU fails. Hybrid is another story. I'll check on the desktop, but so far no go.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thanks! Good to know that Loom II is working. However, (the original) Loom 1.0.7 fails examination.

When an AIR instrument plug-in fails on macOS Mojave with DP 10.11, I find that the Blue Cat Patchwork can load it successfully in DP 10.11.

Blue Cat Patchwork is a VST, VST3, AU host and patch bay that loads as a VST -- which passed VST2 examination on DP 10.11.

Just not happy about needing a VST to load a VST :(
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Forcing a re-examination of highlighted plugins via the Preferences window doesn't help?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Oh yes, tried that many times! The issue is not reexamination.

The issue is that several of the AIR instrument plug-ins fail, whether initial examination or reexamining. If you force enable, it seems to work, however, sometimes DP 10 will crash when you start it up with those plug-ins enabled.

There is something in the DP's (9.5x & 10.x) subsystem that is causing it to fail examination with the above AUs and VSTs on Mac. It is possible that DP's AU/VST subsystem is more strict than others.

If I use Blue Cat Patchwork (demo version), it loads the VSTs with no issue and works within DP 10.11. The above AIR VSTs also work in Reason with macOS, so other products' subsystems work with these plug-ins.
neilinct

Post by neilinct »

Update: I was able to use JBridgeM (only about $10) and now my AIR plug-ins work.
AIR should give it (or something similar) away for free for Mac DP users. I highly recommend trying the demo if you're having plug-in issues.

Thanks to all who've responded!
Neil
my setup:
16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mac OS 10.12.6 [Sierra]
Digital Performer 10
emagic MT4
Roland Fantom XR
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

neilinct wrote:Update: I was able to use JBridgeM (only about $10) and now my AIR plug-ins work.
AIR should give it (or something similar) away for free for Mac DP users. I highly recommend trying the demo if you're having plug-in issues.

Thanks to all who've responded!
Neil
Not sure why bridge would work? are you running an old OS and old copy of DP? Jbridge is a 32 to 64 bit bridge for old plug ins. Air plug ins are all 64 bit by now. :arrrr:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Update: I was able to use JBridgeM (only about $10) and now my AIR plug-ins work.
Your signature says OS 10.12 — Sierra. Is that still true? JBridge should still work.

OTOH, JBridge is weird. Not impossible for it to be doing something here.

Besides 32 to 64 bit which hasn't worked on my machine since High Sierra, it converts 64 bit to 32 bit as well — and that did work in HS and Mojave before BIAB finally went 64 bit last year. Still VSTs only—never did AU.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
neilinct

Post by neilinct »

Still true...I am using 10.12.
I am using all 64-bit plug-ins (including the AIR ones mentioned). Natively, they don't work. I use JBridgeM to "wrap them up", and suddenly, they work.
my setup:
16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mac OS 10.12.6 [Sierra]
Digital Performer 10
emagic MT4
Roland Fantom XR