DP synced to other software?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP synced to other software?

Post by Julia123 »

Hello!
Is there a way to slave/sync start/stop, and song position of DP to Ableton? I have rewire set up but would like my VST's to be accessed by Ableton and use DP for audio. (for certain things). With DP as the master it doesn't allow that. I am open to work arounds---

BTW, DP 10 looks great and is working well so far after installing it earlier today!
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP synced to other software?

Post by philbrown »

I never got this to work reliably and eventually gave up on it after many hours of trying.
That doesn't mean it can't be done, though.
Maybe something's changed or it was operator error.
The furthest I got was using IAC to sync vs. Rewire.
Rewire has serious limitations as I think you've already figured out,
and as Ableton states at the bottom of these articles.
If you get it figured out, please post how you did it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61935

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... imitations

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... and-ReWire
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I had DP synced with Mixbus back when MB was meant to be used as an external mixer. I used IAC or the version of the same thing that is part of DP, can remember which, but they seemed to do exactly the same thing. I've also done the same with DP and Logic and other pairs of applications. But perhaps as Phil experienced, the sync would work for while, but then fail for no apparent reason, requiring both apps to be restarted. I don't think this was just a DP problem -- the same thing happened with other pairings.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Julia123 wrote:Hello!
Is there a way to slave/sync start/stop, and song position of DP to Ableton? I have rewire set up but would like my VST's to be accessed by Ableton and use DP for audio. (for certain things). With DP as the master it doesn't allow that. I am open to work arounds---

BTW, DP 10 looks great and is working well so far after installing it earlier today!
MTC and to a lesser extent MIDI Beat Clock are your options, You can slave either timeline wise to each other over the IAC in Audio MIDI Setup. You can also set up the IAC driver to allow you to use one as a 'host' for VSTi's and the other as the MIDI recorder.

Getting audio between the two is trickier, Jack OSX is the free option, and there's a few paid ways, barring using the audio outs and ins on your sound card.

None of this is super elegant, and I always hoped for a ReWire 2 Pro or something to come along allowing both DAWs to host VSTi's etc. Now that Reason has audio and VST support that's not gonna happen for sure.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks! It sounds like IAC is the way to go. I see it in the iMac's Audio MIDI set-up (which only shows MIDI devices, not my software), and I see where to select it in Ableton's preferences, but I am not getting the concept of where/how to do this with DP?
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Sorry I am still not getting this. I have the IAC showing and on in my Audio MIDI set-up but not sure how to set this up in DP. It doesn't show up in the manual in my searches.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Julia123 wrote:Sorry I am still not getting this. I have the IAC showing and on in my Audio MIDI set-up but not sure how to set this up in DP. It doesn't show up in the manual in my searches.
Preferences>Receive Sync>MIDI Beat Clocks :: Sync To Port dropdown menu: IAC Driver
Setup menu>Slave to external sync
Set Ableton to send sync via IAC

EDIT: It's a little confusing because you don't actually set anything up in the AMS MIDI window itself. You can double click on the IAC icon in the MIDI window to make sure, but it's on by default as far as I know. The bus is just there as part of the system. You put it to use by assigning your send and receive apps to "IAC bus" as per the steps above.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce