2 Macs, VE Pro 5 and Effects sends

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
alainmallet
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

2 Macs, VE Pro 5 and Effects sends

Post by alainmallet »

Hi y'all. I've gotten great help on this forum before s I thought I'd try my luck again. I cannot find the answer to a particular problem.
I'm on DP 9 on a 2012 Mac pro. My old Mac Pro 3.1 was just lying around so I figured I'd use it to run some older 32 bit effects that I never updated and that in the process I could take some load off the main machine which gets taxed heavily as it is.
Here's what I'm trying to do (unsuccessfully)
I've connected the two machines via ethernet, so far so good, they see each other.
What I'm trying to achieve is creating VEP instances that could run reverbs and delays, all time based effects where latency is less of an issue. DP doesn't seem to let me connect effect sends to the VEP instance on the slave computer.
Does anyone describe the proper setup for this particular task? I only have one dongle so I have to do it from within DP as the dongle is plugged into the slave. I'm able to save my meta frames on the slave machine but my main machine only lets me create a new instance instead of seeing the open meta frame and either way, I can't seem to assign an effect send to them.
I hope this makes sense, and I do realize that this borders on a VSL forum issue, but I read through everything VEP related on this forum and it seems that some of you have some good chops in that area, so thought I'd give it a shot.
Thank you
Alain
wrathy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 2 Macs, VE Pro 5 and Effects sends

Post by wrathy »

Alain!
So funny to see you on here!
We've met a few times.....
www.andrewrathbun.com

ANYHOW.....I have MacPro 3,1 both running VE PRO. I've found that if you do not have the EXACT SAME version of VE on both machines, you can't connect within DP. Make sense?

best.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
alainmallet
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by alainmallet »

Thanks Andrew. Yes of course I remember you. I do have the exact same installs on both machines, so that's more a question of my logic versus their logic I think. I did get some help from the VSL forum and I'm about to try it.
Hope all's well
Cheers
Alain
wrathy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wrathy »

Cool. Hope it works out.
best,
Andrew
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano