Wanted- Guitar Education Opinions

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wanted- Guitar Education Opinions

Post by wdegillio »

Greetings! I’ve just posted a video to my YouTube channel titled “Learning the Guitar in the 21st Century”. After years of teaching, I’ve developed some opinions concerning how the guitar should be taught, especially if the student wants to eventually play in a band or ensemble. If you’re a guitarist or guitar teacher I’d love to hear your reaction to my theories. Thanks in advance for checking it out!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snJgribW3cU
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Wanted- Guitar Education Opinions

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hey man, I was able to watch about 15 minutes of your video and have a couple of comments.

First and foremost, PLAY! Victor Borge could get away with sitting at a piano and NOT playing, but us mortals aren't so comedically gifted. But seriously, the way to hold an audience, especially in a music lesson and certainly in most video productions for public consumption, just talking gets monotonous. Even little snippets of songs or musical examples would really help the flow.

I'd also drop a lot of the historical facts that are irrelevant to the subject at hand. Cut to the chase! You don't need printed scores. Here's how you hold it. Learn your chords and arpeggios. Copy great players and try to figure out what they're doing and how they're doing it. Then assign tasks that relate directly to the methods you are teaching. If you do go into historical facts, don't go too far down that rabbit hole. It just distracts from the main objectives.

Hope that's helpful. What you could do to salvage your existing video is cut in some playing and maybe cut out some of the history. I should also mention there's nothing in the video that I would disagree with. I was ready to, for sure. I was being super critical of everything you said and it is all valid, AFAIK. I did appreciate your mentioning improvisation in later piano studies but on a personal level, take exception to that. I started out as a drummer, then moved to guitar, then moved to classical piano at about 17. Couldn't site-read music well and used improvisation to develop my classical technique (something I continue to this days, some 50 years later. But again, I'd cut that from the video anyway. The part about orchestral players reading is valid and interesting to the uninformed, but the improv aspect isn't as relevant. Suffice it to say orchestral players usually are reading and "provincial" musicians often don't.

Also, I don't really accept the separation between learning classical techniques and rock techniques. As you well know, great blues and jazz players have amazing technique that rivals the classical rep, IMO. I'd hit on jazz guitar as the predecessor really early in the video as well and hit the improvisational aspects in that context, where it is relevant.

Most importantly, keep on keeping' on. Us old cats still have a lot to offer these whippersnappers. Now where'd I put that pipe again... lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Your video covers some important points, but is quite wordy and a bit repetitive. Perhaps it would benefit from you spending time writing a script and then editing it so that it is much more concise.

The other challenge is that you are trying to cover so much ground in one lecture. It might make sense to either break it into a few shorter videos, or just be more brief in your overview. You can always flesh those concepts out in single-topic vids later.

As a general piece of advice, respect your viewer's/listener's time and the gift of their attention. Don't take the groceries out of the bag one-grape-at-a-time. Give them a finished meal that is well-designed.

Learning music in the 21st century is different. It is, first and foremost, less linear. It is somewhat less focused on a single style or track (classical vs jazz vs pop). The paradox is that there are more paths, more varied goals (different kinds of players to become), and more tools-- but there seem to be more challenges to distract from the kind of deep discipline that was more common back in the day.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Gentlemen, thanks so much for your feedback.
MIDI Life Crisis, I now agree that I should have included played examples; not only to improve the flow, but it would have been clearer in spots. I was also guilty of trying to provide too much information to "prove" my points. As in music, you don't always need a lot of notes; just the right ones!

Jon, great observations as well. I had forgotten that the video medium is well served by tight editing and making every second count. Shorter videos are usually more effective at "reaching" your audience. I'm glad you found some of my points worth mentioning, but you're right; it is repeditive and wordy. And, when you're trying to communicate, presentation is everything!

I will probably re-do this video at some point (or at the very least, edit it), so I appreciate your comments. I will also take them into account for future productions.

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
leigh

Post by leigh »

Check out http://discoverdoublebass.com. I think their lesson format is very good.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Hi Leigh- thanks for the recommendation. I don't play the double bass, but I'd be interested to see their presentation and production. Also, I remember seeing David Allen Moore on campus when I was a student at USC. He was a great player back then; he must be a monster now!