Arise and Awaken

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Asensory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Arise and Awaken

Post by Asensory »

Created entirely on DP9 with the necessary plugins...

https://soundcloud.com/asensory/overcome-and-awaken
Asensory

Re: Arise and Awaken

Post by Asensory »

Hmmm ... any advice, critiques? This is school, no?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is this a school? It is a space where people learn, so I suppose so.

I don't offer feedback unless it is asked for. I did listen when you first posted, but didn't really have much of a reaction. However, now, I'm happy to offer some of my thoughts on your piece.

Generally, the sounds and mix are nice.

There are ways that the composition could be improved. The opening pattern uses orchestral sounds but doesn't take advantage of orchestral techniques. For example, in the opening pattern the melody doubles the bass line-- it's not really much of a melody, more of a bass line.

The opening pattern is played many times which gets repetitive. Adding other instruments playing the same pattern in higher octaves doesn't add enough interest. Adding a cello or viola playing the same line with sustained notes doesn't add anything either. At about 1:00, there was welcome change in pattern, that only lasted 4 measures, then back to the same old pattern for more.

The piece then it starts to layer over the same basic pattern. That layering generally works well, but remember that you haven't deviated much from that pattern. Perhaps as layers come in, perhaps some of all that doubling in the original pattern could change to something else.

At 2:00, that change is pretty nice, and the instrumentation fits the style of the song more. The top melody moves along with the same rhythm as the chords which might be a missed opportunity. The viola melody is nice. At around 4:00 when the guitar takes a lead, it is pretty quiet, seems like that could have a little more drive to help push it up in the mix a bit.

People have responded positively to what you have made. And many/most like more simplicity than I do, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Keep making music! I hope you found my comments helpful.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

To read the post by stubbsonic, it would seem your piece was a failure, or at least had problems. I disagree. It is what you were inspired to create. I wouldn't change a thing, because not only did I enjoy it , but I think your piece would make a great backing track for a video or short film.

Keep composing. Your talent will grow.

Mike