Separate DACs?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Separate DACs?

Post by bayswater »

Thanks gseibert. So far, among the audiopile stuff, I've only looked at Cambridge audio. I had the impression that this market has higher prices for the same stuff compared to pro audio, but I don't have much basis for that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

With all respect and no specific person or manufacturer in mind, remember snake oil can take many forms, and confirmation bias is real. You will hear far more difference between different brands and models of headphones than between any two relatively modern DACs.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Been to the Schiit site. Hardly any of the links there worked, so it's difficult to assess anything.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:With all respect and no specific person or manufacturer in mind, remember snake oil can take many forms, and confirmation bias is real. You will hear far more difference between different brands and models of headphones than between any two relatively modern DACs.
Very true. I have a couple of reference recordings I know well and a pair of headphone I alway use, so at least I'm equally biased with everything. The other thing I try to keep in mind is that something that sounds good it not necessarily the best thing. If a recording is harsh and noisy, you ought to be able to hear it. That's why I've generally avoided the audiophile stuff so far. It all has its character which is fine if you like it, but not necessarily a good thing to use with DP.
gseibert

Post by gseibert »

bayswater wrote:Been to the Schiit site. Hardly any of the links there worked, so it's difficult to assess anything.
That’s strange. It works fine for me on my iPad. Also worked ok on safari on the Mac. Which products did you try to research? I’m in Louisville, Ky. Surely there isn’t an issue since you’re in Vancouver. Sorry.
2020 iMac 10 core 32 g ram, Catalina, DP11.04, UA Apollo X4, MTP/av usb, Komplete Ultimate 13,Albion One, BBCSO Core, TX81Z, SPX90, Digitech Studio Quad v2, Tascam DA20 mkII, Alesis ADAT, Roland s750, Mackie line mixer, Korg Z1, Roland A80, DX7, Kurzweil K2500X, Kurzweil K2000R, Kurzweil PC3, Korg 168rc Event 20/20 bas, Mini-Moog, EMS Synthi aks
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gseibert wrote:
bayswater wrote:Been to the Schiit site. Hardly any of the links there worked, so it's difficult to assess anything.
That’s strange. It works fine for me on my iPad. Also worked ok on safari on the Mac. Which products did you try to research? I’m in Louisville, Ky. Surely there isn’t an issue since you’re in Vancouver. Sorry.
I got it working and looked over the stuff. Not sure what would work for me, and I've left a couple of questions at their help desk. Thanks for the tip.

(They're an odd crew. Their mid range converter is only 16 bit. In the FAQs they go through a long argument about why that's OK.)