Device Groups

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
sloiselle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Device Groups

Post by sloiselle »

I don't know if this is the right sub forum or not. I also am not 100% sure that the problem isn't me (seems to be more than half the time).

I find it perplexing that when creating a MIDI device group, I cannot (apparently) specify anything other than a device and channel - no ability to set something as simple as a limited key range, let alone velocity settings or whatever.

I switched from LAM to DP in 1999, but was actually pondering snagging LP (or digging out my ancient PM8500 with Logic 4.3) just to be able to set up some device groups that allow restricted key ranges for individual devices. Which means digging out the Opcode Studio 4 and etc., etc., pain in the tukus. Would much rather continue happily using DP.

Am I the only one who could use this functionality? Is there something I'm missing? If not, is listing this here the best way to communicate this to MOTU as a feature request? I realize it might be delusional to think so, but this at least seems to be a relatively easy upgrade.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Device Groups

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I can't move the post, but it seems more like troubleshooting or the usage section. Some folks ignore this lonely little o/t section... :rofl:

Thanks for your consideration. You might want to repost in one of those sections.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Device Groups

Post by HCMarkus »

DP doesn't provide Master MIDI Controller functionality in MIDI Device Group.

You can achieve similar results by editing the VIs receiving your MIDI input, if the VIs provide that level of control. Kontakt is an example of such VI. Another approach is to use DP in multi-record mode and set up your MIDI keyboard controller to send multiple MIDI channels limited in range/velocity, etc, if your controller supports this. You could also have your controller send multiple MIDI channels and, using DP's multi-record mode, insert DP's MIDI plugins on the receiving VI's MIDI tracks and having the plugins do whatever they do.

I offer the above as a theoretical exercise as I am a person who has never used DP this way. The only time I have used DP's Device Groups feature is to double or triple sounds across the range of the keyboard.