Live MIDI Transpose Box?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rickorick
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Live MIDI Transpose Box?

Post by rickorick »

Hi All I'm playing in a live band and we tune down a 1/2 step, I'm playing guitar and keys.
I want to tune my non tuning keyboard modules down with some kind of MIDI box. I'm using
a Voce Organ module, it has a tuning knob and an Access Virus b and it doesn't tune in 1/2
steps in the single mode. So I'm wondering if someone here knows if I could do this, I have
a MOTU Ultra Lite and an Audio express I could use if one of them could be setup somehow I
could set it up at home with the computer save a preset and take it out on the gig. Or if there
is a small box that would do this. Just so you know I'm using an old DX 7 2 as the controller
I know it's an old keyboard but it's light and I already own it and I like the feel of the keyboard.
I also use a Motif but it is easy to transpose.
Thanks
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
bayswater

Re: Live MIDI Transpose Box?

Post by bayswater »

If you have computer on stage, you can just use a MIDI transpose plugin on any host that will run it.

For standalone hardware, these guys have a footswitch they say will transpose. http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

MIDIHub has something they say will do this, but it looks like a crowdsource thing so far.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stoecklem
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by stoecklem »

This might be way more powerful than you need but it's awesome.

https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Forgive me if I state the obvious, but remember that you are probably looking for TRANSPOSE, and not TUNING in those user interfaces.

And you just need a 1/2 step, which should be easily done with a MIDI plugin. I don't suppose the DX7 has a transpose setting somewhere? I gather you can do that with voices, but not necessarily as a global/keyboard function.

I wonder if the MOTU Ultra Light has that capability.

Another thing to look at would be the standard MIDI CC for transpose. That might work with those modules.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55920
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

Thanks Everyone. I think I'm going to get the MIDI Solutions Foot switch controller box,
I talked to John there and he said it would do what I wanted. I'll order one before the next gig.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24