Master Class?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Master Class?

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for that link, Terry. I'm on my way to a gig in a bit. I'll probably check that out tonight.

BTW. After you mentioned Sylvia Massy's book, I did a YouTube search and found tons of Massy videos. I've only had a chance to watch a couple so far. Without searching on her name I hadn't come across them before - didn't even know they were there. I've always been a fan or her work but didn't know she was an enthusiast of what shall I call it - bizarre creativity. Check out her pickle filter videos. :shock: I definitely have to check her out. Err, professionally, I mean.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, the "Inside the Song" stuff is pretty interesting. Still not what I'm looking for, but good stuff nonetheless. The Sylvia Massy stuff is very interesting as well. Definitely think outside the box inspiration. She's a character.

Next I'm going to check out this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9jZqn5lnw4

This is over an hour long so I'm waiting for a chance to view it in it entirety.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil, I was thinking that, at your level, you probably won't find much in the internet like this. There definitely is some kind of knowledge-vacuum at that level.

You could, for instance, invest in the Groove3 yearly subscription and scavenge all their videos looking for gems. While I'm sure you'd find some in there, it would take you so long to do it, and who needs to waste time like that, right?

So why not just go to the SOURCES directly?
It seems you have very specific issues/questions in mind (which is great). Gather your questions/concepts you want to know more about, categorize them and find a guru for each topic.

For instance, if you're talking about great spatial concepts and tricks using little-heard-of techniques, why not contact Kenny Gioia or Greg Tonwley directly?
Or if you want to go over deep DSP concepts, why not contact THE legend/pioneer himself and ask John Johnston, AKA JJ? (you can find him over at HA, as "Woodinville").

Kenny Gioia, or even Dave Pensado seem to me like a good match to you for what you want :)

They seem extremely nice and approachable, and they obviously have a passion of sharing knowledge.
I just think that, if you arrange some kind of tutoring or "quick master discussions" with them, you'd get A LOT out of it, and they'd be more likely to share meaningful secrets with you privately instead of in some YT tutorial....

I've befriended a couple of people like this before (for other topics), and they are usually actually delighted to help!

Just thinking out loud...

And then, you could create a YT channel where you teach all of us what you learnt after your time and economic investment, so it's free and available to all of us, for nothing!! [/insert greedy emoticon here]
J/K!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

FMiguelez wrote:And then, you could create a YT channel where you teach all of us what you learnt after your time and economic investment, so it's free and available to all of us, for nothing!! [/insert greedy emoticon here]
J/K!
I second that greedy emoticon! :mrgreen:
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Guys, I'm just a humble recording engineer working out of a home built studio. I have a BSEE and think just about any EE working in audio knows the stuff I know - probably more. No Grammy's on my wall, no big names I can drop (well maybe one :roll: ). I provide a service for the small guy. When you go to a big studio if you have deep pockets, you get the head engineer. If not, you probably get some intern to work on your project or at best the second in command. The majority of stuff I've seen on the interwebs is at that intern level. I'm just trying to kick it up a notch and give my clients that head engineer quality, or if I can, surpass it.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
Last edited by Phil O on Sat May 25, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I found this:
https://www.auburnsounds.com/products/Panagement.html

I downloaded the free version which has the LFO and Mono to Stereo sections disabled but the pan/depth function works. The manual talks about how they accomplish panning using wait for it...
...interactions of Haas effect, pan and EQ

I then messed around in Plugin Doctor to see what they are doing to the signal. 8)

As wylie1 said, "The best stuff I've learned is from unlikely places when I wasn't looking."

I'm having a good day.