Hearing Loss Case

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hearing Loss Case

Post by bayswater »

The British press is full of stuff about an appeal of a judgement a year ago.

From the Guardian: "The Royal Opera House has lost its challenge to a landmark ruling in the case of a viola player whose hearing was irreparably damaged by noise levels in the orchestra pit while rehearsing Wagner’s Ring Cycle."

The ruling said the Opera House didn't do enough to prevent hearing loss.

I dismissed this when it first came up. Even a guitar player in an R&B band knows not to stand downwind of a horns. Does anyone here play in a symphony orchestra? Isn't hearing loss something everyone understands? Or is this the common fate of viola players?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Hearing Loss Case

Post by terrybritton »

Beyond being fate - it must be their karma.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I played 30 years as a professional symphony musician. Unfortunately, most orchestra musicians can't wear ear plugs as it prevents them accurately hearing the full frequency of their instrument and thus its true tone. Many orchestras will put clear shields in front of the directional brass like trumpets and trombones, but those can only do so much. On a normal concert-hall stage, you can usually reposition people to help mitigate the proximity. However, in an orchestra pit, there is usually not much room to reposition and people are often crammed in quite tightly, especially on operas that require large orchestras like Wagner's do. In those situations your only option to being downwind of the brass is often to not play in the pit--not really much of an option if that's your only source of income, unfortunately.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So this has been going on for the better part of 200 years with no clear solution? Was your hearing compromised?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Sounds like a reasonable case, since, at that level of musicianship, hearing loss is a significant impairment.

OTOH, it would be a tricky problem to solve.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:So this has been going on for the better part of 200 years with no clear solution? Was your hearing compromised?
What...?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

bayswater wrote:So this has been going on for the better part of 200 years with no clear solution? Was your hearing compromised?
Well the really loud orchestra pits mostly started near the end of the 19th century with Wagner, but he actually built a special pit under the stage at Bayreuth that gave a lot of room to the orchestra. Unfortunately, most opera halls are designed for the smaller "Classical Period" orchestra, and not for the much larger--and louder--orchestras of more recent works.

As for my hearing, as a percussionist, I usually had more issues with my own sound levels than with that of other instruments, but yes, I have some hearing loss and tinnitus as a result of those years.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It gets loud down there—more for the celli than basses (I played either) since celli sit lower and basses are often in the back row.

Wagner... The last time I performed ol’ Richard, I was in a production of Siegfried that was double-cast. When I wasn’t singing Wotan (Der Wanderer), I was the double-bass principal. Hearing wasn’t so much my issue as was the sheer physical workout of playing a bass for 4 3/4 hours including a pair of 20 min intermissions. With a comfortable stool, I had a number of seating positions which helped but after that long a performance, my arms and back were sore.

Covered pits are louder—at least the ones I played in over the years. The worst were theater pits where I would play banjo/guitar books. I would normally be placed in front of the drum kit next to the brass. Ouch!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro