Piano polytheism...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Piano polytheism...

Post by FMiguelez »

Yup.
I had been under the impression that piano monotheism was a settled matter with Yuja Wang, but, unexpectedly, another piano goddess revealed herself to me recently...

Ahhhhh.... Olga Scheps :love:

If you want to hear something simple and delightful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-zjXxR ... gs=pl%2Cwn

And if you want to see what she's really got and her stupefying pianism:
https://youtu.be/s9Ofz4TjfhM?t=1728

I'm having real trouble deciding what I like more, the music, her playing, or just her...

Piano polytheism... Who would've thought?

Enjoy!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Re: Piano polytheism...

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote: I'm having real trouble deciding what I like more, the music, her playing, or just her...
Yes. 'Cause Damn!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Passion, baby. It’s all about passion.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Whoa!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I think I'm in love.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ha! I knew you guys were going to like her! I'm so happy about it :D

I can't believe I didn't know her sooner. I am always so annoyingly PICKY about my pianists, but the moment I saw her put her hands on the keyboard, I knew she was truly special and I was in for one hell of a ride.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Passion, baby. It’s all about passion.
Absolutely!

It's all about the passion. But also about the required technique and chops to be able to express that passion musically, freely and seamlessly, like Olga's :)

I think it's about the passion only as long as it is genuine, and not just an act of showmanship, like it happens with some other young pianists who confuse the two. With Olga (I sigh with love just mentioning her name), it's obvious the passion and confidence she exudes from her pores is not only genuine, but contagious!

----> You can see this at the end of her Chopin sonata... After the last chord resonates and the auditorium becomes silent, you can see she literally gasps for a moment, as if she realized the piece has actually ended and tries coming back to reality from her own music world. After her masterful story-telling, her ending feels like it still has lots of forward momentum: The power of the music still rings in your ears and you don't want it to stop!
She almost stumbles as she gets up... She's still totally drunk and intoxicated with the electrifying power and intensity of her performance. It lingers in the air! :lol:
https://youtu.be/s9Ofz4TjfhM?t=2024

I've been watching more of her videos, and even at her young age, Olga Scheps is already quickly reaching piano Grand Master status.

Hello, Olga! :love:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You guys need to get a room.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

works for me
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wait, I think I read that the wrong way. :shock:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just sent those links to one of my piano students.

Sometimes it helps to point to a bright light at the top of some mountain you are trying to climb and say oh look, someone is showing us something wonderful that is possible!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com