DP 10 on Mac - Does this version bigger fonts?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10 on Mac - Does this version bigger fonts?

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:
Shooshie wrote:From what I understand MOTU painstakingly created separate graphics for each scale level for each skin, which is why even when huge the graphics remain sharp.
Why do you say that? If you look at the contents of the app package, you still see only the two sets of images, regular and double res for retina, that have been there for a long time. I don't have extensive edits in my themes, but for those I have, all I had to do was edit the regular images, and then create a double size image with no interpolation, and it all worked with the new scaling feature. Some stuff I used in 8 and 0 doesn't work because the basic images and layout changed in10 so I had to create those over again, but only the two versions.

E.g. look at
/Library/ApplicationSupport/MOTU/DigitalPerformer/Themes/MoTools.bundle/Contents/Resources
or any bundle other than MoTools.

This is the one I use most often, and I've edited about a dozen of the files in this bundle, but again, only the two versions of each png file (and a few lines in the html files to change some background colours).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Actually, what you quoted was from dix, and that, he said, came from a MOTU video. I was thinking the same thing about the retina display being the reason there are a lot of double-res files in most of the Theme resource folders. But SOME of them do have 4 different resolutions. Maybe more, but I didn't have time to study them all. As I said after examining the contents of every theme in the folder, LIGHT is the smallest bundle with 50-something files, and Plasma takes the prize for most complicated with 263 files. MoTools comes in around 175 files, give or take. I don't remember all the rest, but the first few MOTU themes — those based on default with just some changes in grayscale — are the lightest, while those that do custom numbers, custom buttons, and other details are the most complex. Some of those have 4 or more versions of the same graphic in some cases.

I think it just depended on whether the particular set of graphics in a file scaled well. If not, they made more versions.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I hadn't seen any with more than 2 versions, but was looking at the names so I guess I missed it. But it doesn't seem that simply not scaling well would account for the observations some made.

In any case, all this should go away as Apple make progress towards resolution independent graphics, or whatever they called it.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote:It also means that MOTU is less likely to make new themes. That's sad, because they don't have a single theme that really appeals to me.
100% agree here Shoosh. HATE them.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

labman wrote:
Shooshie wrote:It also means that MOTU is less likely to make new themes. That's sad, because they don't have a single theme that really appeals to me.
100% agree here Shoosh. HATE them.
The cure for this is to sit in front of Logic for a day. Four shades of grey.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
The cure for this is to sit in front of Logic for a day. Four shades of grey.
It's true that professional creative apps have not been very creative, themselves. That's something that should be rectified, because it all affects our work. If one argues that it shouldn't, then I guess everyone should work in a warehouse on skid row. We go to places like the mountains, seashore, forests, and rivers for inspiration. Why shouldn't our apps bring a little color into our lives, too? Remember when "skins" for apps were such a huge hit? Everyone was buying them. Everyone was making them, and you could get your desktop AND your apps to be extremely customized for your own tastes. MOTU is at least trying, and I've been truly thankful ever since they incorporated Andy's mods idea into DP. I just hope they continue and give us some truly beautiful mods. Not merely white, gray and nuclear-waste green.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:It's true that professional creative apps have not been very creative, themselves. That's something that should be rectified, because it all affects our work. If one argues that it shouldn't, then I guess everyone should work in a warehouse on skid row.
Having work in warehouses in depressed areas, I agree. But there is a tradeoff in coding priorities. I'm fine with a couple of current DP themes with a few minor edits to improve contrast. With Logic, I spend a lot of mental effort looking for things. It's not so much a where's Waldo interface as everything looking the same at first glance. First glance works better with DP. The track inspector is an example. I like that I'm not really aware of the theme or the colour pattern, and not sure I'd prefer a theme that jumps out to tell you how nice it is. Mixbus 32C is always announcing "I'm a work of art! I'm a work of art! Look at me!" (but like a lot of art for arts sake, I don't understand it)