VCA Tracks: What's the advantage over an Aux track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VCA Tracks: What's the advantage over an Aux track?

Post by Shooshie »

Looking over DP 10, I'm finding that I don't full understand the VCA Track. It appears to add a fader for controlling the volume of one or multiple tracks, without changing their current automation lines. We already have a track that does that: the Aux track. Also the Master Track. You can route one or many tracks through an Aux, where your Aux automations and/or real-time changes will not override the automation of the feeder tracks, but will add to the total fader values, or subtract from them.

I have created only one VCA track to check it out, so I'm certainly not an expert on it, and that's why I'm here. To see if anyone else has found the advantage to using it. Is it just a quick way to get the same functionality of an Aux without the tedious setup? Still seems the same amount of tedium to me.

I await the enlightenment of our collective experience, here. I'm afraid it won't be coming from my direction!

The Ghost of Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MartinBaird

Re: VCA Tracks: What's the advantage over an Aux track?

Post by MartinBaird »

Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The Ghost of Shooshie, indeed!

Love you and missed you, brother. "You da man" never meant more IMHO than when being directed towards you. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I predict more visits from the ghost as the bell tolls One.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:I predict more visits from the ghost as the bell tolls One.
Oooohooohoohooohoooo.... ask NOT for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for theeeeeheeeheeehehehe...[hack, cough, cackackcough...] Ah, s***! Can we dispense with the voice? I mean, it's harder to do the voice as a ghost, because technically I have no mass to vibrate the air with in the first place. That's happening through sheer willpower, and doing that ghost voice really is hard. ok? Hmmm... maybe with an aggressive cardioid mic and a fierce brickwall limiter. Oh, and some plate. Yeah. A good 3 second plate. We'll work on that.

The Ghost of Shooosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks, Martin.

The video explains it all. Just to have it in print in case the video disappears (and they always do, eventually), think about extended connections to a track. For example, a send.

When you use a group fader scale another track or group of tracks, you aren't necessarily scaling the send's return. (or you may be, if you set it up that way) A VCA fader apparently controls the other faders and sends without affecting their contents, so that is taken care of. (if you set it up that way) Let's put it this way: VCA faders are designed to take care of loose ends without your attention to the matter. At least, that seems to be what the guy in the video is saying.

Another example:
If you have been recording automation, and you use a Group Fader to control other tracks whose automation is set to RECORD, the motion of the tracks' faders induced by the Group Fader will erase your automation and replace it. The VCA fader will not do that, according to the video.

I'm sure there's more. Let's celebrate the fact that DP always gives us multiple ways to do things. We have Fader Groups, Aux Tracks, Master Tracks and VCA faders. Also, less talked about, and a lot more difficult to implement, is the Custom Console. I won't get into that, but it also operates faders. I don't remember if you can get it to cross over from MIDI to Audio, but I don't know that it won't. Anyway, the point is that there are different methods for controlling what you mix, record, and perform. Each may be useful to you, depending on the context of the moment. If you learn them all, learn their differences and similarities, and figure out what works best for you, and when, you will be a stronger, faster engineer with DP.

Shooshie (now just a ghostly voice in the wilderness)
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

But just to be clear...

If I'm not mistaken, sending a group of channels through an AUX fader still scales their output--even with their automation. The problem with the first example in the video wasn't with scaling, but with the fact that the individual drum channels were sent to reverb. If you send them after the AUX channel, that's not a problem.

I do a lot of Orchestral mockup work and will often create a separate AUX for say, the horns, the trumpets, the trombones/tuba, and then another AUX for the entire brass section. I can do all the automation I want in the individual tracks and still have it scaled via the AUX bus. As Shooshie rightly pointed out, though, there are lots of other benefits to the VCA fader and I look forward to exploring them, but I'm not sure it will affect the way I most commonly use my AUX channels.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bkshepard wrote:But just to be clear...

If I'm not mistaken, sending a group of channels through an AUX fader still scales their output--even with their automation. The problem with the first example in the video wasn't with scaling, but with the fact that the individual drum channels were sent to reverb. If you send them after the AUX channel, that's not a problem.

That's exactly what I meant by "if you set it up that way."
And that's why I'm trying to figure out the big advantage of VCA tracks. I'm sure they are there, or there wouldn't be such a fuss over them. It just may take me a while until turning to a VCA instead of an Aux becomes instinct for me, in the proper context, of course.

Shooshie
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote:
... Shooshie...
Shoosh!
What a nice and unexpected surprise!
I hope you're doing great, my friend! I thought you were affairing with Nuendo or Logic or something...

Well, you asked the question I was going to ask, and it looks like you found it convincing. I'll do the reading (or whatever) now, because I still don't get what the big fuss about VCA faders is... I think I can do all that with my Aux stems and more... But I must me missin' somethin', so let's see what that is :)

[Reading mode on...]
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

FMiguelez wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
... Shooshie...
Shoosh!
What a nice and unexpected surprise!
I hope you're doing great, my friend! I thought you were affairing with Nuendo or Logic or something...

Well, you asked the question I was going to ask, and it looks like you found it convincing. I'll do the reading (or whatever) now, because I still don't get what the big fuss about VCA faders is... I think I can do all that with my Aux stems and more... But I must me missin' somethin', so let's see what that is :)

[Reading mode on...]
Robert explains it quite well in the video above. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's discussions like this that make me wish MOTU would publish a signal flow diagram.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The reason I'm asking about VCA tracks is because I don't have the ability right now to find out for myself. My studio is in pieces, half at the ranch and half at my still-current place in Dallas. I'm moving, and it's a very slow process for me at this point in my life. So, I'm just trying to find out from you guys what you think. The video made sense, but it's not the last word. I still believe that Aux tracks could handle some [most?] of what VCA tracks are touted for. But time and usage will be the arbiters, here, not what I think now — before I've actually tried them.
dix

Post by dix »

I'm guessing there'll be more posts about VCA usage once an update for DP10 shows up. I'm not using VCAs in the projects I am doing with DP10 because they disappear if you Save As a DP7-9 and open them in DP9 - a likely scenario to run into since DP10 has some unworkaroundable bugs currently.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Can we dispense with the voice? I mean, it's harder to do the voice as a ghost, because technically I have no mass to vibrate the air with in the first place.
HA! How to do you explain poltergeists !?!?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

I can see the advantages when working with groups, but, isn't the track based VCA the same or about the same as the Trim Latch and Trim Touch functions?

If not, what's the difference workflow-wise?
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB