Amount of RAM

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
GRStarr
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Amount of RAM

Post by GRStarr »

Hello all-

I am making the jump into DP under Windows 10 from the Mac Platform. In spec-ing out a new workstation, I am wondering about how much RAM to in the new computer. I know the specs say 8GB recommended... I also will be running (with orchestra size templates) from either Spitfire or VSL (tbd).

I would like to put 128GB in if possible, or is that overkill? 64GB is more reasonable financially of course because of getting matched pair/ECC memory to get to 128GB.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Greg Starr
Corvallis OR
Greg Starr
www.gregstarrmusic.com
Quiet Rain Music
Corvallis OR 97330
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Amount of RAM

Post by HCMarkus »

GRStarr wrote:Hello all-

I am making the jump into DP under Windows 10 from the Mac Platform. In spec-ing out a new workstation, I am wondering about how much RAM to in the new computer. I know the specs say 8GB recommended... I also will be running (with orchestra size templates) from either Spitfire or VSL (tbd).

I would like to put 128GB in if possible, or is that overkill? 64GB is more reasonable financially of course because of getting matched pair/ECC memory to get to 128GB.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Greg Starr
Corvallis OR
I'm running 48 gigs in my Mac Pro and, despite setting Kontakt up to a large pre-buffer, have never gotten close to using it all. However, I don't run huge library templates. Hopefully others will chime in here.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm running 48 gigs in my Mac Pro and, despite setting Kontakt up to a large pre-buffer, have never gotten close to using it all. However, I don't run huge library templates. Hopefully others will chime in here.
There is a recent video where an 8 core Mac Pro 7.1 was compared to a 10 core iMac Pro. Identical projects with 112 instances of Kontakt, and 2 different reverbs. The iMP was more responsive than the MP but that project didn't break either system.

I couldn't tell if the DAW was Logic or ProTools but I did notice that each setup had only 32GB RAM.

Yes, I know you want to move to Windows but I've not seen anything on that platform to compare.

A recent post by Andrew Bergman stated along the lines that a huge number of plugins can require more RAM but wasn't specific beyond that.

Photoshop and video editing are where More RAM=More Better. If not doing either, then 64B is a bit more than needed but not excessively so. 128GB is probably a waste of coin.

MOTU normally recommends 16G. Since memory leaks are a fact of life, I recommend 32G for any machine running a plugins, browser, Office etc. in addition to DP. My computer hasn't frozen due to not enough RAM since I upgraded to 32G.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

32GB is probably sufficient from most work. I'd never go less than that, but if money isn't an object, 128GB couldn't hurt.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's that comparison video I mentioned earlier. Although the 10 core iMP has a faster response, the 8 core trashcan comes off pretty well in this.

https://sonicstate.com/news/2018/03/17/ ... 0IoEFMaDkI
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

GRStarr wrote: I know the specs say 8GB recommended.
I think that's 8G minimum to run it at all. I do stuff with low track counts and 16G is just enough to stop page swapping. I think the old advice to get as much as you can reasonably afford is still good.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I was going to start a thread to ask this, but it's relevant-enough here, I reckon:

Guys, my right-front slot doesn't seem to work (there're 8 in total). I've tried swapping sticks several times with other slots, and also swapping the "mirror" slot's sticks at the same time.

I don't know if it could be related to this, but around about the same time I noticed that I was a slot short RAM-wise, I started having HD's not show up upon booting. 2 or 3 reboots always gets all 4 bays happening; sometimes it'll be just bay 1 & 2, or even 1, 2 & 3 on second boot, but the issue usually manifests as bay 1 only on first boot.

I ask this 'cause I don't know if it's worth buying larger RAM sticks for this 2012 cheese grater. I've swapped things around so that there's a 2x2GB pair in DIMM 1 & 2, so I'm only missing out on 2GB (38GB instead of 40 showing up).

38GB? Planning on running Omnisphere, Komplete 12 and whatnot, but not esoteric orchestral libs that I can't afford anyway.

Any thoughts will be much-appreciated, especially as RAM for this machine seems to be expensive... unless I've missed something, but at any rate, I'd obviously have to buy larger sticks (currently 4x2GB and 4x8GB sticks).

Thanks guys. :wink:

EDIT:
I've been meaning to ask about this for 2 years. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

monkey man wrote:I don't know if it could be related to this, but around about the same time I noticed that I was a slot short RAM-wise...
That's what people say about me these days, that I seem to be a slot short RAM-wise...

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:a slot short RAM-wise
Sorry, that got me too. Coffee all over the desk.

Can't comment on the cause of the failure. Yes, RAM seems really expensive. I'd have thought by now we'd be buying by the roll next to the battery display at the drug store checkout.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Time to remove and reinstall those hex CPUs Monkey. The RAM slot misfire is likely due to lack of a firm pin contact on one of your CPUs.

As I recall, you had commented on the somewhat sloppy thermal paste job you did back when you installed those CPUs. Now is your chance to correct that, then carefully torque the CPUs when you reinstall them. Check the RAM, and tighten or loosen CPUs until all is well.

Many CPU upgraders have commented on this issue at MacRumors over the years. I'm pretty sure CPU pin contact is your issue, too.

You might want to re-paste the Northbridge chip while you are at it. Those plastic spring pins can be replaced as noted here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cl ... 6.1637891/

I used the Chinese spring rivets. I like the nut and bolt method (using the springs from the original Mac Pro pins) too.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh no, Sir Markus! Sounds like a lotta work that I'm seriously-underqualified to do, mate. :roll: Thank you for the valuable info 'though, man.

What would happen if I simply tightened the screws on the heat sinks? IIRC, I may not have applied "full" pressure due to my fear of overdoing it. No ability to measure torque.

As for the Northbridge chip, I didn't touch it, not that I'd know where it is. What role could it be playing here?

If I simply replaced two of the 2GB sticks in a working pair of slots with 8GB ones, I'd go from 38GB to 50. Would this be worth it, do you think, and could there be any other issues arise if I left the CPU's alone and just "lived" with the missing RAM slot?

Lastly, do you think the intermittent boot appearance of the drive bays matters and is possibly-related to this? I can live with this too as worst case scenario is I have to boot 3 times, and I hardly ever turn the 'puter off.

Thank you for your help and wisdom, my esteemed Sir Markus!

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

monkey man wrote:Oh no, Sir Markus! Sounds like a lotta work that I'm seriously-underqualified to do, mate. :roll: Thank you for the valuable info 'though, man.

What would happen if I simply tightened the screws on the heat sinks? IIRC, I may not have applied "full" pressure due to my fear of overdoing it. No ability to measure torque.

As for the Northbridge chip, I didn't touch it, not that I'd know where it is. What role could it be playing here?

If I simply replaced two of the 2GB sticks in a working pair of slots with 8GB ones, I'd go from 38GB to 50. Would this be worth it, do you think, and could there be any other issues arise if I left the CPU's alone and just "lived" with the missing RAM slot?

Lastly, do you think the intermittent boot appearance of the drive bays matters and is possibly-related to this? I can live with this too as worst case scenario is I have to boot 3 times, and I hardly ever turn the 'puter off.

Thank you for your help and wisdom, my esteemed Sir Markus!
I thought you did the CPU swap yourself... it ain't hard, especially with true 5,1 (like you have, a 2012 Mac Pro). That said, you could try tightening the heatsink screws; could do the job, and might help with your other troubles too. Now, I know primates can be quite strong, so please don't use your super-human strength! But you can definitely be firm, like a good parent.

The Northbridge chip is under it's own little heatsink under one of the CPU heatsinks; it is accessible only after removing that CPU heatsink. If you run Macs Fan Control software, it is identified as "IOH Diode" and "IOH Heatsink." That Diode temp is the hottest piece of silicon on the list of temp sensors. Looking at mine now (I shut down DP a bit ago, so not working the Mac hard at the moment)... the Diode temp is 64c and the Heatsink 49c. I run my BoostA and BoostB fans based on the IOH Diode temp to keep that sucker cool, but it can reportedly take something like 100c, so don't freak if yours is running hotter than mine.

How do you know if IOH heat is a problem? Reports I have seen indicate the Mac will shut down. This often happens with Mac Pros when one of the plastic spring rivets that keeps the Northbridge heatsink in place snaps. When the heatsink rises off the chip, the chip gets super hot super fast. If you need to replace a spring rivet, my prior post has all you need to know in the link provided.

If you ain't hitting a RAM wall (check Apple's Activity Monitor utility) you don't need more RAM. Based on my experience, methinks 38GB should be plenty for most work in DP.

Over. :smash:
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh, I did install the CPU's myself, Sir M, but removing them, cleaning the old paste off, adding a fresh dollop and reinstalling them would be something new to me. Great to hear that you think I can tighten the sinks without having to go through all that 'though.

Right now the ambient temp in the 'puter is 26ºC, overall CPU usage is 3%, and the NB heatsink and Tdiode are 65 and 79ºC respectively. Definitely way-higher than yours, but of course I'm not cranking the fans "artificially".

Sounds like I needn't worry about increasing RAM, from what you're saying, bud. Thank you! :headbang: