828mk3 into Behringer HA8000

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Immortal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mk3 into Behringer HA8000

Post by Immortal »

Hello everyone, First post. So I was in need of more headphone outputs during band sessions. So I bought a Powerplay pro 8. The instruction manual isn't much help about hooking it up to my audio interface. I've searched all over and found nothing and ended up here. Can anyone direct me to the proper way to connect this thing into my interface? Do I just plug into the headphones out (main) from the front of the motu into the main input on the powerplay pro 8? sorry for the noob question just wanna make sure I'm making all the right connections.
mikehalloran

Re: 828mk3 into Behringer HA8000

Post by mikehalloran »

I have an older Behringer headphone amp. There are a number of ways to hook it up. It’s possible to give each player his/her own mix but that’s complicated—doable using the individual outs of the 828.

The simplest way is to hook it up to your headphone out. Everyone gets the same mix but they still have level control to suit individual taste.

These are surprisingly good for the money.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... hfEALw_wcB
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

That’s the headphone amp I have. I figured I can just go from the headphones output into the HA8000 main input. But I read somewhere that’s not the proper approach? After a little more reading into the subject I think I can go from the assigned outputs from the 828 into the main in on the HA8000?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Immortal wrote:I can go from the assigned outputs from the 828 into the main in on the HA8000?
Yes. As MIke suggested, you can even set up individual monitor mixes using multiple outputs from your 828 into individual inputs on the HA.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Ok so after running the outputs from the 828 into the HA8000 I’m assuming I need to assign all those outputs in logic correct?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Immortal wrote:Ok so after running the outputs from the 828 into the HA8000 I’m assuming I need to assign all those outputs in logic correct?
Depends on what you how to monitor. I'll try give you an overview, but you are gonna' have to figure out how to do the actual routing, based on your software, hardware and needs. I don't use Logic.

Key Concept: You can monitor live inputs thru your DAW or via the 828's hardware mixer, accessed via the 828's CueMix software. Or some combination of both.

When recording, there are two categories of audio elements you will be working with:

1. Whatever is already recorded in your DAW (Logic) being played back for reference while recording new tracks. You can feed all your performers a mix of the pre-recoded tracks using the Main output from Logic and/or create custom mixes using sends on each track bused to the proper 828 outputs.

2. Live Inputs from your performers. You can monitor the live performers two ways:

a. Input monitoring thru Logic. Input monitoring enabled in Logic while recording feeds the input to the Main bus and/or sends to individual submixes. This approach gets your performers audio processed by whatever plugins are on the input channels, but may stress your computer or cause unacceptable latency when monitoring live inputs.

b. CueMix hardware mixer (built in your 828) for near-zero latency monitoring without concern for DAW buffer size but no DAW plugin effects heard while recording. You can assign each live input to any combination of the outputs the 828 provides using the hardware mixer's buses. I think the 828mk3 provides 8 stereo mixes. I had an 828mkII; it provided 4 stereo mixes.

I hope this helps.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31