Music-minus-one for piano concertos for practice??

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Music-minus-one for piano concertos for practice??

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

My piano chops and technique are coming back to life!!! :D

After one and a half decade of not really playing the piano, I've been practicing diligently for a couple of months, and I'm stoked and so damned happy with my progress and coming-back!

Anyway. I would like to know if any of you guys have ever used one of those music-minus-one scores for classical music for practice.
Right now I want to retake Mendelssohn's piano concerto #1 in G minor. Apparently, I can get the score and a CD with a normal performance, an orchestra-only performance, and a slowed-down version for practice, but I can't know what it really sounds like until I buy it.

I'm not sure how the entrances are worked out, though... What if I don't like the tempo in general? Would I be better off sequencing the orchestra myself to my taste?

Any thoughts on this?
I'd like to know if you've ever used one of those, or at least know someone who has.
I'm thinking Perhaps DP10 stretch algos would be useful to adjust the tempo for sections to my liking so I don't feel dragged or rushed?

I see the Mendelssohn for 82 bucks in amazon, and it's calling my name like a mermaid...
https://www.amazon.com/Mendelssohn-Conc ... 1596150092

Thank you.

Fernando Wang :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: Music-minus-one for piano concertos for practice??

Post by FMiguelez »

I found another one, and you can listen to a fragment of it. I did NOT like what I heard (the orchestra plays it so god damned slooooooooow).

Not impressed...
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/pi ... o+concerto
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

OMG, did Kurt Masur just screamed at my Yuja Wang at 1:46??? :shock:

He almost lost the orchestra! The flutes skipped a beat...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGx8TR ... gs=pl%2Cwn

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I did NOT like what I heard (the orchestra plays it so god damned slooooooooow).
Not unusual with MM1. Think about it: students buy them to learn. How discouraging would it be to have the concerti played at the fast clip favored by so many conductors these days?

Nowadays, with a bit of digital manipulation, you can have them played at any tempo you want. DP isn't the only game in town on this. ZTX, Melodyne Elements and IRCAM time stretch have been licensed to many companies. Some apps that do nothing but speed up and slow down accompaniments cost very little money.

Music Minus One has certainly grown since I bought those records in high school for cello and bass. Damn, I can't say nearly 50 years ago anymore. :shock:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro