Help importing Performer files into DP 8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
thgmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help importing Performer files into DP 8

Post by thgmusic »

I used Performer back in the early 90's. I have some of those files that I need to open now for a client. I have DP 8, but can't open them. They appear greyed out in the open/save dialogue.
I no longer have DP 6 or 7 on my computer, but I seem to recall that they could open earlier Performer files.
Any help out there?
Thanks,
Brad
TinenTech

Re: Help importing Performer files into DP 8

Post by TinenTech »

I forgot whether old Performer could export SMF (standard MIDI files), but I'm guessing it did. Try exporting that, and drag the MIDI files into your DP8 project.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
thgmusic

Re: Help importing Performer files into DP 8

Post by thgmusic »

TinenTech wrote:I forgot whether old Performer could export SMF (standard MIDI files), but I'm guessing it did. Try exporting that, and drag the MIDI files into your DP8 project.
Thanks for chiming in! I may not have made it clear, but I no longer have the software for the original Performer program from 1991 nor the hardware to run it.

Thanks to help on another thread I created, I found that by adding the file extension .dpdoc, DP 8 would recognize the files and open them. I successfully did this and exported them as MIDI files for import into Finale.

You can find the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66068

Brad Pearson
Spokane WA