DP10 - Multiple issues

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
remmet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP10 - Multiple issues

Post by remmet »

Well, my initial reaction to DP10 was quite positive. Everything seemed stable, and even though I didn't see anything that really knocked me out, overall it seemed like a decent upgrade. After a few days working with it, however, I'm kind of hating it. These are some of the issues I've been experiencing:

Frequent crashing. This can occur randomly, often when doing the most basic of tasks like changing the velocity of a note, or simply saving.

Long save times, even with projects that aren't very large or complex.

Event List windows initially open up horizontally instead of vertically! This makes absolutely no sense.

Changing the name of a MIDI track doesn't necessarily change the name of its Event List window.

The Transpose command is glitchy and doesn't work as expected when entering "From" and "To" notes on your MIDI keyboard.

A new project containing several tempo changes was working well for a couple of days. Then all of a sudden the MIDI tracks began stuttering over the tempo changes. It appears the project became corrupted somehow, and neither saving it as a new project, or importing the sequence into a new project fixed the problem. I don't know if trashing preferences is the best course of action at this point. I opened a new test project and entered some tempo changes, and it worked fine.

In any case, I hope MOTU is working on an update that fixes these and other problems that have been reported. I definitely should have waited before upgrading.

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
yamguitar

Re: DP10 - Multiple issues

Post by yamguitar »

Hmmm... the issue I'm currently having is that the solo/play-enable buttons are not agreeing between the tracks window and mixing board, and I'm unable to get some of the play-enable buttons on the tracks window to disable at all.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Maybe this is what we get when people start demanding an update and it gets released before it’s ready for prime time?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe this is what we get when people start demanding an update and it gets released before it’s ready for prime time?
I thought there was going to be a 9.53.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe this is what we get when people start demanding an update and it gets released before it’s ready for prime time?
I thought there was going to be a 9.53.
That's what you get for thinking! lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm not too worried about it. Initial releases always have their bugs and MOTU seems pretty good about fixing them. What I don't get is how the really obvious bugs make it through beta. Perhaps MOTU should recruit their beta testers from Motunation. Yeah, that's the ticket. :wink:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Phil O wrote:I'm not too worried about it. Initial releases always have their bugs and MOTU seems pretty good about fixing them. What I don't get is how the really obvious bugs make it through beta. Perhaps MOTU should recruit their beta testers from Motunation. Yeah, that's the ticket. :wink:
I've been recommended by other testers TWICE and requested to be a tester as well, but no response. I think they just don't want troublemakers, who, in fact, probably make the best beta testers! besides, now we'er ALL beta testing for them, but how much are they actually listening to us?

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I think they just don't want troublemakers...
Well, I guess that leaves us out. :roll:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

remmet wrote:Frequent crashing. This can occur randomly, often when doing the most basic of tasks like changing the velocity of a note, or simply saving.
Might not be as random as you think. Some here have already identified a couple of repeatable crashes. Actually, repeatable is a good thing. It's the random stuff that's hard to track down. Right?

Pay attention to what you're doing when it crashes and look for patterns. If you see any report it to MOTU. That helps everyone. Thanks for the post.

Phil
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Developers still beta test? That's so 90s! Now they just kick the chick out of the tree and hope it flies!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
dix

Post by dix »

What’s the best way to report bugs to MOTU? Is a TechLink necessary, or can we just email Customer Service? .... I don’t really need to work through some of the issues I just want to report them.

I’m not having any of the issues mentioned here. I’ve worked several long days without crashing on largeish MIDI projects. There are, however, three bugs (so far) that are sending me back to 9.52. Inserting bars and Split Notes commands both cause crashes and dragging MIDI notes between tracks in the SE can’t be constrained (shift-drag) in DP10.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I would call them first to report the bugs. They will let the dev team know. And they will follow up with email. I also reply to their email with the bug details.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

dix wrote:What’s the best way to report bugs to MOTU? Is a TechLink necessary, or can we just email Customer Service? .... I don’t really need to work through some of the issues I just want to report them.
I always submit a TechLink with the explanation that I am merely filing a bug report. You can, of course, also call - but they wrote me expressing appreciation for the TechLink(s) I submitted saying it helps them keep track of the issues internally.

Plus, you will very likely be notified when the bug is squashed.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
dix

Post by dix »

I think that's probably right. I'll do a TechLink. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong that these issues are software bugs and something in my system.

The bugs I'm seeing:
- Graphics slow-down overall compared to DP9 (GUI slow down, choppy video playback etc)
- Shift-drag constrain between tracks not working in the SE
- Split Notes crashes some projects
- Insert Bars crashes some projects
- White blocks appear in places around the GUI while scaled
- Desktops/Spaces spontaneously switching
- Quantize Preview disappears on Play

Particularly problematic for me is the loss of Shift-drag constraining between tracks. Also, the crashes when using Split Notes and Insert bars. ...if anyone else can confirm these I'd be curious. Thx
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I just wrote a TechLink about 4 days ago, and it didn't even send me an automated email. Not sure whether the system is working or not.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy