Sibelius 2019 announced at NAMM Show today

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sibelius 2019 announced at NAMM Show today

Post by mhschmieder »

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/avid-rele ... 2019-44074

Doesn't seem like a very big update. Maybe just enough to show they're still in the game though.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
artfarm1

Re: Sibelius 2019 announced at NAMM Show today

Post by artfarm1 »

And... more exciting is the new 'Pori' font that has been rolled out by 'NYC Music Services'.

Read about it at: https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/norfo ... ori-fonts/

Best 'handwritten' font yet for Sibelius (IMHO) and the chord symbols are now able to be notated in any way possible (ie: stacked/angeled bass notes; chord symbols with stacked text in brackets)

And they look great....very easy on the eyes for sightreading, (which is important these days!)

Sibelius can still 'do it all' with ease. Nothing to really complain about at all. I've been reprinting some old scores originally done in some of the old fonts and text, and all the text/chord positioning is excellent and translates perfectly.

Some people have never loved the previous 'jazz' or handwritten fonts for Sibelius (me included), but the 'Pori' fonts change the game and take away any desire to ever change to another program.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I so want to love Sibelius. One of those apps I can't get my head around (Been in Finale too long).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I find that font too hard on my eyes, but don't remember what Sibelius had before. I love Finale's fonts; one of its strong suits.

The problem with that new font is that it has curves where it shouldn't, and is too jammed together at points of extrusion, as well as having unnecessary angles that likewise make it hard to read.

Remember, for many of us these will be used as lead sheets or scores for actual concerts, vs. looked at only on a backlit computer screen. Most performances are not well-lit from the point of view of the players. Fonts need to be crisp, sharp, simple, and unambiguous -- just like bar lines, which contrarily need to be thick enough to be EASILY counted and seen in dim light or from a distance.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

In Sibelius parts, I've used good old Opus, or Helsinki, fonts, and they've been fine for reading.

No one ever complains about the more 'legit' looking fonts.

I've never like the Sibelius 'handwritten' fonts myself, so I'll try 'Pori' for awhile with upcoming my band and live projects (jazz/art oriented with little or no rehearsal time). Will be a good test of ease of reading!

True, the fonts from Finale have always been good, and the real Broadway and Hollywood people all have their tricks and tweaks to get better fonts, etc.

But the 'Pori' fonts are a giant step up for Sibelius.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com