Machfive 3 can't load Machfive2 UFS disks

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

MeisterEckhardt
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Machfive 3 can't load Machfive2 UFS disks

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

Hi Everyone, 01/11/19
I transferred my Music sounds folder of all machfive2 and machfive3 .UFS samples and Volumes onto an SSD. I went into Machfive 3 preferences and changed that path to the SSD. I didn't change the folder name, just moved it over to the SSD.

Machfive3 lists the Machfive2 soundbanks but when I double click on those banks the error says:

"Unable to mount the Volume from {path}/MachFive2DVD2-Piano.ufs (No valid authorization found). Every MachFive2 Volume is giving me this error.

All other soundbanks from the transfer are working fine so far, like Machfive3 Volumes.

I have my machfive2 original DVDs on hand. How do I reauthorize my Machfive2 DVD's? All machfive2 DVD's that have been copied over give me this error.

I tried to find this in the Machfive manual. Perhaps I am not using the proper search keywords to find this answer.

I have DP 9 and Machfive3 working together. I'm on a mac OS X El Capitan which shouldn't matter, the whole setup is very stable. Just listing my mac and OS X to avoid the question if it's needed.

Thanks so much! I hope all of you are peaceful, happy and digging your path of creativity.
Thank you all! Gratitude!

Kent Byron
Petersham, MA
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).
mikehalloran

Re: Machfive 3 can't load Machfive2 UFS disks

Post by mikehalloran »

I transferred my Music sounds folder of all machfive2 and machfive3 .UFS samples and Volumes onto an SSD
If you copy a Word file over, you may run into the same thing.

The most likely scenario is that you copied them straight over. You might not have permissions to access them on that SSD. If you formatted that SSD from a different Mac or PC — or didn't reformat at all, this is to be expected.

Go back to the original location. Zip the files. Now copy them over and unzip. This should give you proper privileges.

If you erase and reformat the external from your boot drive. this should also do it. If you are using this external to shuttle files between Macs, there are other workarounds.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MeisterEckhardt

Re: Machfive 3 can't load Machfive2 UFS disks

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

Hi Mike
Thank you for your response. You have been a gem here for years. Thank you for your time Sir.

I read your suggestion. I tried taking my original soundbank Machfive 2 soundfiles from the original disk, zipped them and moved them to the SSD. But things have changed so much and it didn't work.

-That disk with the original .UFS Machfive2 files was from a Mac G5 that died. Since then, my Mac OS X user name has been changed. And now I'm on a Mac Mini Intel chip.

-Can you suggest other ideas at this point? I do have a usable Powermac G4 that has os 9 and OS X on it. I do have a macbook pro 2012 with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on it. I am guessing here that it may be I just resinstall Machfive 2 onto a 32 bit system with my new User Name to get this to work? Ideas?

Thanks for being such a helpful part of this community.

Kent Byron
Petersham, MA
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).