NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by stubbsonic »

waxman wrote:what kind of controller is this in DP 10 ad?
http://motu.com/products/software/dp/
https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/v25

The label is visible in a couple of the views. Is that what you meant?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

waxman wrote:what kind of controller is this in DP 10 ad?
Or this: https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/gs-r24/
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Babz wrote: I took it to mean the entire UVI-based MOTU instruments (Electric Keys, Symphonic, BPM, etc.). But of course, even that would add up to considerably more than 5GB.
If I remember correctly, Mach 5 came with two sets of sounds, the "Mach 5 sounds" and one that was UVI sounds. Which, again if I remember correctly, felt more like a taster and not very exciting/useful.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
borjam

Post by borjam »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:https://motu.com/store_products/software/dp

I’m guessing you can call them and they’d probably update you for free. They’re pretty liberal that way.
Yes, they replied that I updated within the grace period. Great :)
Mac pro 4-core 2.8 GHz, 2010, DP 7.21, Metric Halo ULN-2, MOTU Ultralite and Traveler, Tascam US-2400.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

random observations about possible future updates...

The Spectral analysis view in the Sequence Editor. In at least two other DAWs I can think of, this also functions as a spectral editing tools, being able to take out miscellaneous noise etc. from a sound file by visually seeing it etc. Kind of surprised that wasn't part of the new toolset audio wise.

The new MIDI note visual feedback, besides the note name on the note it looks like shading to indicate velocity. In some other DAWs that along with a key command can be used to change velocity outside of the CC editor. I think this makes total sense in terms of an editing improvement that could be happening soon.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

HCMarkus wrote:I'm holding onto a faint ray of hope that the scaleable GUI means more responsive graphics...
That was the first thing I tried when trying out DP10 @ NAMM. I duplicated a bunch of MIDI data so it was pretty dense, then simply tried to drag the velocities down in the pane below and there was about the same lag as 9.5. Pretty slow. I am a huge DP fan but the sluggishness (perhaps video re-draw) is always frustrating to me. If anyone has any tips on helping this that would be great. The scaleable GUI is very cool though.
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

I love the ability to toggle between a primary and secondary tool - like from pencil to arrow for instance - by holding down a key while clicking.

I love the ability to adjust a soundbite's bite gain by clicking in the lower left and dragging up and down and the soundbite grows or shrinks accordingly! (this appears to be a different kind of 'bite gain' than the one we all know because when I draw in bite gain automation in that layer, that doesn't change when I adjust the new fader).

I love being able to save macros (like % of velocity up/down, etc.) and assigning those to command keys or buttons - so handy to just hilite some data and hit a key and it'll change it to your liking.

These are a few of my favorite things...
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
zoeticOne

Post by zoeticOne »

kestudi wrote:
Babz wrote:
fokof wrote:I was about to update to Live10 , I think I'll wait to hear about you guys how this Loop window feature works.
Just hope it's as easy as Live to record/process/assign.

Live duties only
Same here. Live is the only other DAW that I’ve kept up to date, mainly because the clip feature is such a unique workflow. Now this gives me one less reason to update my Live 9 Suite.

It would be good, however, if MOTU can eventually work out a way to export/import with Ableton, since that has become such a de facto standard for clip-based sequencing. Korg Gadget, for example, has a feature to export projects to Ableton.
Yes, I'm curious, too. My initial hunch is that it'll be decent, but not as good.

1) The clip launch interval is global (1 measure, 2 measures, 4, etc). Live allows you to set this on a per-track basis. For example, you may want to trigger a drum loop variation every 2 bars, but you want to be able to trigger a one-shot on the next beat at any moment.

2) I don't see the ability to record and loop new clips while the whole scene is playing (i.e., the "LIVE" feature of Ableton Live). In the DP demos, they are taking existing, pre-recorded regions of audio and copying/pasting into the clips view.

3) I don't see a way to record a Clips Window performance as an arrangement.

So, given those assumptions (which may be wrong) it seems like a non-linear previewing engine more than anything else. I'm still excited to mess around with it.
You would think that Polar (was that abandoned?) would be a major impact in this update being an alternative to Abelton Live. Which is unlikely since it wasn't mentioned. However, if it were, I think it would have addressed your listed concerns.

Regardless, I am looking forward to this update for the possible 'Live-like' abilities as well. For me, it seems the most significant update (9 withstanding) in a long time.
Mac Pro 3.33 Six Core & MacMini 3.2 GHz i7 RAM 64 GB w/10.10.5 & 13.6.1 | MOTU DP9.5 & 11.3 | Apogee Duet & Ensemble Firewire | UAD Apollo Twin MKII | KRK V8 (original)| MOTU MIDI ExpressXT | MOTU micro lite | Roland XV3080 | Korg TR-Rack(Trinity) | EMU EIV XT Ultra | Clavia Nord Lead 2X | Access Virus TI Snow | Korg M3 | Fostex D-5 | Plugins: Boz Digital Labs, FabFilter, Korg, KV331Audio, MOTU, Metric Halo, NI, Roland Cloud, Sonarworks, UAD, Voxengo, Waves, iZotope, u-he...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

joelmusic wrote:I love the ability to toggle between a primary and secondary tool - like from pencil to arrow for instance - by holding down a key while clicking.

I love the ability to adjust a soundbite's bite gain by clicking in the lower left and dragging up and down and the soundbite grows or shrinks accordingly! (this appears to be a different kind of 'bite gain' than the one we all know because when I draw in bite gain automation in that layer, that doesn't change when I adjust the new fader).

I love being able to save macros (like % of velocity up/down, etc.) and assigning those to command keys or buttons - so handy to just hilite some data and hit a key and it'll change it to your liking.

These are a few of my favorite things...
+1

But I am sorry to hear GUI responsiveness is still an issue.
dix

Post by dix »

joelmusic wrote:I love the ability to toggle between a primary and secondary tool - like from pencil to arrow for instance - by holding down a key while clicking.
I'm not sure I understand the secondary tool thing. What's the difference between that and what we have currently. Currently if I hold the P key I have a pencil tool (or X for mute etc.) until I let go of the key.
Nice! This is new info I think. I haven't seen this feature mentioned anywhere before. PT has this and it's much easier than having to enter a value.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
kestudi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kestudi »

This item is also of interest:

Overdub recording replaces CC data

When overdub recording continuous controller data, any existing data is replaced to prevent data streams that conflict with each other.

This seems pretty important for recording Mod-wheel moves
dix

Post by dix »

kestudi wrote:When overdub recording continuous controller data, any existing data is replaced to prevent data streams that conflict with each other.

Very nice, but strikes me as more of a fix than a feature. I'm hoping they improved CC editing, drawing etc to behave more like audio automation. ...though I think someone would have mentioned this by now if they had
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

kestudi wrote:This item is also of interest:

Overdub recording replaces CC data

When overdub recording continuous controller data, any existing data is replaced to prevent data streams that conflict with each other.

That seems useful. I suppose if I had a take with good CC info, and wanted to replace just the notes, I'd need to go to a different track and merge the two.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

dix wrote:
kestudi wrote:When overdub recording continuous controller data, any existing data is replaced to prevent data streams that conflict with each other.

Very nice, but strikes me as more of a fix than a feature. I'm hoping they improved CC editing, drawing etc to behave more like audio automation. ...though I think someone would have mentioned this by now if they had
One cool new CC editing feature is: there's an option for when you nudge or quantize MIDI note data, the accompanying CC data moves with it! I like that one a lot... not sure how you adjust the parameters of _what_ gets moved - will have to see, but it's a great idea...
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

This is the one new feature that just does nothing for me...
You've alway been able to toggle any of the tools by hitting their related key commands, C for scissors, Z for zoom etc. etc. X used to be for mute. Or double click to select it etc. I at least hope that you can still toggle keys.

Seems like a feature they thought Logic users would like, because Logic had this as a feature forever. Before version 8 in Logic IMO it was a lot more useful though, right click called up a contextual pop up of the Tools, so little movement or commands were needed to get all relevant tools.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.