NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:
MW1 wrote:Anyone know if MOTU has addressed the visibility of the velocity stalks in the MIDI Edit window in DP10?
The reply I got was not really, only as much as the new Scale command increases the sizes of all the DP windows. It’s “on the list” I was told.

A new feature is display of the note name when cursor is over it. If implemented as I understand the answer to my question, it may help when grabbing a note and dragging to change pitch. We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is a velocity "thermometer" drawn into the note display, much like Logic does it. You can see it in the MOTU site description on DP10.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

I'm not sure if I spotted another new feature in DP10, or if I just don't know how to find it in in DP9:

In this video it looks like you can access channel inserts in the SE (notice the MW Leveler plugin on one of the tracks in the SE). PT has this, but I've not seen it in DP before. Is this in DP9 somewhere, or a new feature in DP10?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUvBJJE ... e=youtu.be
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote:I'm not sure if I spotted another new feature in DP10, or if I just don't know how to find it in in DP9:

In this video it looks like you can access channel inserts in the SE (notice the MW Leveler plugin on one of the tracks in the SE). PT has this, but I've not seen it in DP before. Is this in DP9 somewhere, or a new feature in DP10?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUvBJJE ... e=youtu.be
Good catch! Yeah that's definitely a new feature of 10, needed IMO. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote: There is a velocity "thermometer" drawn into the note display, much like Logic does it. You can see it in the MOTU site description on DP10.
Now if there's a way to change velocity on the note itself like in Logic, DP could keep their little v's forever for all I care. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Has anything been mentioned about better support for ambisonic plugins?
(Addressing multiple inputs, saving audio files in ambisonic file formats.)

I suppose some of that might come from VST3 support.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
thracks

Post by thracks »

Michael Canavan wrote:I'm curious if MOTU have made any friends at Novation or AKAI? I would hope they have. Those companies both develop controllers for Ableton Live. Bitwig luckily enough has a few really dedicated home studio developers that have helped them with their controller support, but MOTU probably need to just partner up a bit. At least to get their new Clips Window to have half the functionality that Live and Bitwig have with these controllers. It's part of the experience of using clips to have a nice dedicated 8x8 grid with an additional 8 buttons to fire parts etc.

I know a lot of you aren't as excited about this as I am, but as an Ableton Live user for years, I can tell you one of the frustrating things about working with both is that if you're just trying to work on a part of a song, maybe only a main theme, nothing else is developed yet, Clips rule. It's just a fantastic way to work on traditional verse, chorus, break, end type pop and rock music of all kinds, not just dance music.
So because of that I often start a song in Ableton Live, then really want to add in some things that Live doesn't do that well, and all of a sudden I'm flattening warped audio, saving presets in VSTi's and exporting MIDI clips so I can work out the rest of the song in DP.

This way makes way more sense. Even without controller support, just being able to use clips to start a song is going to save me a lot of stress.
A big huge "me too" to all this. I love Ableton Live, but still use DP. I spent some time today looking for some guidance on how to adapt my Akai APC40 to other DAW's. Doesn't look to be a simple task. I'm sure I can get minimal MIDI mapping for some functions, but full functionality WITH visual feedback on the LED's would be awesome.
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Ships in 1-2 weeks! According to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFnYViwzagg
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Michael Canavan wrote:No one has commented on it yet, but in the photo for the new Clip Window on MOTU's website the dudes hand is on his iPhone, using what looks like a mixer app. Wondering if MOTU aren't redoing their app for DP10? That would be great!
I saw that and am full of hope!
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
Michael Canavan

richhickey wrote:Ships in 1-2 weeks! According to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFnYViwzagg
Just in time for me to get back from SF!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
frankf

NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by frankf »

Here are more notes about changes/improvements in DP10 from Matt Lupont’s demo at NAMM this afternoon. He also demoed VCA group fader for 4 tracks of percussion he created with Polar!! (Nothing new in Polar itself). Officially Motu is saying release in Q1 which is by March 31 :) But Brendon in the SOS interview posted above IS saying 1-2weeks! Very exciting!

-Scale maintains high quality and readability at all levels. The MOTU folks are saying maintaining this quality throughout DP took a lot of work, many programming hours

-Transport prefs, move by measures beats, more with default extended keypad transport assignments for forward, fast forward, etc.

-Select tracks, contiguous or not and move together anywhere by simple dragging. Existing Move Tracks commands still available.

-Alternate tools: 2 customizable favorite
tools in DP header and toggle between them with a command. Can have full tool pallet open simultaneously.
Frank

Last edited by frankf on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

VST3 support is important, even for those of us who likely will stick with AU due to the added protection of capturing one's settings at a level that won't get overwritten by a plug-in update.
AutoTune should now work in Windows. Not my issue but still this will be good news to many.

It’s not supported in DP for Mac but much of the functionality does work.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
macnylonguitar
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by macnylonguitar »

Long time DP user, since DP 1.0.

Solo fingerstyle nylon, jazz / fusion guitarist, need to upgrade from DP 8x... (macOS Mojave).

Perhaps DP 9.5, then DP 10 for free when it's out, or Logic...

DP 10 looks interesting, but the plugins, effects are so dated, to say nothing of the amps (practically useless).

Already have BIAS Amp Pro 2, with Amp Match, perhaps the best software amp out there, can do anything and everything.

DP has not updated effects, plugins...in what seems like forever, Masterworks EQ?, limiter? Third party, Waves F6, TB Barricade limiter, etc, are already better than that...

and I use the UA Apollo pre's...Neve, API...

I am used to the DP workflow, Chunks, audio editing, so I may go that way, but Logics updated effects, plugins, and synths look far ahead now... thx, macnylonguitar
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

haim wrote:So i need to transfer my wishlist from DP10 to DP11 :)
Still no ARA support (for Melodyne and Vocalign)....
ARA support is hugh! Logic has it and can save a lot of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

Rick Cornish wrote:The zoom function will be worth the price of admission on its own.

Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:I'm holding onto a faint ray of hope that the scaleable GUI means more responsive graphics...
Scalable GUI *IS* part of it. Also I heard some word of some tweaks to improve graphics performance in MIDI Editor and Sequence Editor in terms of scrolling during editing.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!